Chapter 16: Getting Answers

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 16: Getting Answers⍟ ⎊ ⧗
Leo then pointed up to the ceiling as he responded. "That."

Skye's eyes widened. "The plane will explode?"

"Soon." Leo confirmed as he gestured towards the screen that was flickering on and off. "See? So it's like a...a small disease."

"Virus." Skye offered.

Leo nodded. "A virus, yes, and it's going through..."

"Through the plane's electrical systems." Hunter mentioned, finishing his sentence.

"Yeah, blowing things up." Leo agreed.

Sparks flew from the lights again, causing Hunter to jump. I snickered. "Looks like someone's scared."

"Am not. I was just startled." Hunter corrected.

"The stabilizers, monitors." Mack commented.

"Yes, and the next one will be the—" Leo began.

But before he could finish his sentence, Trip approached us with a grim look. "The nav systems just blew."

"There you go." Leo said.

"Can't take off." Trip stated.

"Wait. Wait. Stabilizers, monitors, nav system, comms are next, and then next comes..." Mack trailed off.

"The wings." Astra and I said in unison.

"Do you two do that often?" Hunter asked, looking taken back as he looked back and forth between us.

"Not always. On occasion." I shrugged.

"Trust me, you'll get use to it." Mack said before returning to the matter at hand. "Where the fuel is, so then we'll..."

Leo then raised his hands, imitating an explosion. I let out a sigh. Great, so we need to move fast. If Stephen knew of this mission, he'd probably have a heart attack. Technically it wasn't my fault, because I wasn't in the field. I definitely didn't want to see the look on his face. If he knew of this, there's no way he'd let me step foot outside of the lab. I would love to see him try though. I'd put up a fight. My mind wandered towards the time I used the Force on Stephen. A smile grew on my face as I remembered the look of awe on Stephen's face. Astra nudged my shoulder.

"Hey, where did you go? You had a dreamy look and a smile on your face. Where you thinking of Stephen?" Astra teased.

"What? No." I replied, way to quickly.

I grimaced as Astra noticed, wearing a smug look on her face. I mentally shook my head. So what I was thinking about Stephen? He's a friend, that's all. My heart clenched at that thought. I mentally groaned. What's going on with me? I need to worry about getting out of this mess without getting killed.

"All right, well, we better do this quick if we don't want to kiss our lives goodbye." I suggested, gaining everyone's attention.

With that, we all split up the work to do everything to stop the virus and fix the plane before it killed us all. It was no pressure. Hunter, Leo, and I ran into the engine room, making our way through endless computers and controls and routers, avoiding sparks and smoke.

"I thought you said you could do this." Hunter protested.

"Yes, I can...or, I mean, I know how. It's...it's not...um, it's not just words. It's the...hands, controlling them. So I can't use these...I have to use yours." Leo explained, trying not to get frustrated.

"Why does it have to be me? Wouldn't one of the other people." Hunter said.

"Yeah, because they're repairing the systems that have already gone boom to...to delay the virus, and you're the only one without, um..." Leo clarified.