Chapter 43: It Was Jiaying All Along

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 43: It Was Jiaying All Along⍟ ⎊ ⧗

My heart dropped. What?! No. That can't be. Gonzales may not see eye to eye with enhanced people, but he would never do something like this. Jiaying collapsed in front of us. Skye gently picked her up, so her mother was in her arms.

"That can't be..." I gasped. "Jiaying, what happened?"

"Gonzales...he...he said that we were...that Inhumans should be exterminated. He had a gun." Jiaying informed us.

My heart clenched. This cannot be right. This did not make any sense. I was about to take off, when Jiaying stopped me. She croaked out, looking at me. "No, stay with me, please. Gordon will take care of him. I need your help along with Skye and Astra to get me up."

All right...If she insists. I gave her a nod. She then looked over at Lincoln. "Get everyone to safety."

Lincoln gave her a worried look before nodding. He then turned towards a crowd of Inhumans that I didn't even realize gathered around us. He raised his hands as he stood up. "Everyone, this way!"

With that, he led them away from the plaza. Jemma then approached us, kneeling beside us. She gave Jiaying a gentle smile as she offered to check her wound. Jiaying gave her a glare, not liking her suggestion.

"S.H.I.E.L.D.'s done enough. We have our own doctors." Jiaying shot back. "I'll be fine in time. Right now we have more pressing concerns."

I grimaced. Yikes. This is going to get worse, which means Jemma and the rest of S.H.I.E.L.D. who aren't Inhumans need to leave. Things will grow hostile. I raised my head, looking up at Jemma, giving her a grim look.

"You should get out of here." I advised.

"What about you three?" Jemma inquired.

"I..." Skye hesitated, looking down at her mother.

"We'll get to the bottom of this." Astra intervened. "But you need to leave now, for your own safety."

Jemma gave us a nod before turning to face the agents that came with her. "Come on."

As the three of us helped her, Lincoln returned. Together, we made our way through the courtyard, making our way towards the doctors. However before we could reach the doctors, a Quinjet flew up in the air, firing missiles at one of the buildings near us. We were caught in the crossfire. The impact threw us back onto the ground. I fell with a thud, feeling pain course through my body as my ears rang. As we climbed back onto our feet, Jiaying looked at us with a bewildered and wounded look.

"Why would you let them do this to us? I thought you were on our side." Jiaying mentioned.

Whoa, why would she say that? Especially to her own daughter? She can't be insinuating what I think she is. None of this made any sense. Why was this happening?

"I am." Skye assured her.

"We all are." I chimed in.

"W-we had no idea, I swear." Skye continued.

Alisha ran towards us, looking at Jiaying with a worried look. "Jiaying, I'm here."

"We got to get you out of here." Lincoln advised.

With that, they took off, leaving the three of us alone. At that moment, May approached us, looking just as puzzled as us. Skye, on the other hand, looked enraged as she blurted out. "What have you done?"

"That's what we're trying to figure out, but you need to stand down." May explained.

"Stand down?" Skye repeated in disbelief. She then raised her voice. "After Gonzales just shot my mom and declared war on us?! You're the one who needs to stand down!"