Chapter 17: The Manfredi Family

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 17: The Manfredi Family⍟ ⎊ ⧗

I then thanked the agent before climbing out of the Quinjet. I walked out of the alley, where the agent had parked, and into the city. All right, I need to look for my old friends, ones that were family friends that go back as far as Grandpa Howard, who befriended the grandfather of the friends I knew as a child. Their names are Marco and Sienna Manfredi, they were like family. I knew when it came to business, the Manfredi family weren't the most honest, which is perfect for me in this case, because I know they'll help provide me with answers that I need. Rumors were that the father of Marco and Sienna, Silvio Manfredi was secretly the son of Whitney Frost. The Manfredi family remained close to the Stark family even after Grandpa Howard and Grandma Maria Stark died. Though dad didn't hang out with them as much as Uncle Greg.

As I walked past a cafe, a smile grew on my face. My mind wandered and I found myself back in the cafe, sitting across from Stephen as he told a terrible joke, that regardless made me laugh. I then glanced down at my bracelet as an idea came to mind. Stephen must be working his ass off, forgetting to take a break as usual. A pastry, a cup of coffee, and a break will do him some good. With that in mind, I made my way to the cafe, buying him his favorite pastry, which was an apple danish and a cappuccino to help give him energy. I then thought about Christine, no doubt she'd be hungry as well, so I got her a lemon bar. Once I had the pastries and the coffee, I made my way to the hospital. The moment I reached the front desk, I saw Christine with a clipboard in her hand. She wore a smile as soon as she saw me.

"Aurora, how are you feeling?" She inquired.

"Feeling better than ever." I replied. "How are you?"

Christine looked relieved as she responded. "Good, I'm doing great. Though I could use a break."

"Well, now's your chance to take one." I said, handing her a small bag. "I got you a pastry in case you were hungry."

A smile grew on her face as she took the bag. She then opened it, finding the lemon bar. Christine looked shocked, but rather happy as she looked back at me. To my surprise, she lunged forth, pulling me into a hug.

"Oh Aurora, thank you!" She exclaimed.

I cracked a smile, happy to see that she liked it. Once we pulled away from the hug, she gave me a stern look. What? Did I do something wrong? Just before I could ask, Christine proceeded. "By the way, I'm still waiting on our girl's night out."

My shoulders slumped in relief. Looks like she wouldn't be forgetting any time soon. I let out a chuckle. "Don't worry, we'll plan something soon. Where's Stephen?"

"He's in one of the emergency rooms. He should be done soon. Did you want me to let him know you're here?" She offered.

"Thanks Christine, but I got it. Besides, I'd like to surprise him." I mentioned.

A smile grew on her face. "Of course. I'm assuming those are for him."

I nodded. "Yeah, you know Stephen. He doesn't know how to take care of himself or when to take a break."

Christine wore an amused look. "You must be very special to Stephen."

I raised eyebrow, confused. "What do you mean?"

"Stephen won't take a break with anyone else. Believe me I tried." She revealed.

I was taken back. Didn't they used to date? Surely he would've listened to her, right? I mentally shook my head. No it's probably nothing. She's just teasing me. Stephen and I are just friends. I shrugged. "I'm sure it's nothing."

With that, I made my way through the hallways, seeing Stephen through the window of one of the surgery rooms. He was wearing his scrubs, a mask over his mouth, gloves around his hands, and a cap wrapped around his head. He looked so focused, but as soon as he saw me, he nearly dropped the surgical tools in his hands. His eyes lit up as soon as he noticed me. I wore a smile as I raised my hand, giving him a small wave. I was expecting him to return to his work, but to my surprise, he said something to one of the other surgeons before placing the tools on the silver tray. Stephen then walked out of the room and towards me. His cap, gloves, and his mask were now gone. He gave me a smile.