Chapter 33: The Arctic Base

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 33: The Arctic Base⍟ ⎊ ⧗

Once we were up in the briefing room, Jemma and Leo immediately bombarded Astra, Skye, and me with questions, asking us everything that they seemed to be thinking for the entire week we were gone. It was quite overwhelming.

"How are they all? Are you making friends?" Jemma questioned.

"How did you get the intel about the base?" Leo inquired.

"Can you control your powers, or...?" Jemma asked.

"Uh, okay. Listen, we'll tell you all everything." I assured them, cutting them off.

"We promise." Astra added.

"But it's a lot. You might not believe us, but just not now." Skye chimed in.

"Well, we're just happy to see you, and you're being so secretive. All of you are." Jemma mentioned, looking hurt.

My heart clenched. I didn't mean to create that look of hurt. I hoped they both knew that we were happy to see them, but right now is not the best time to catch up, especially with Grant around.

"Oh no, I'm happy to see you, too." I hastily replied.

"We all are but..." Skye trailed off.

"Yeah, we've got a mission to do, not much time, blah, blah, blah." Leo retorted, letting out a huff.

"No, Ward is here." Skye corrected. "I don't want to talk about anything personal in case he's just..."

"Did I hear my name?" Grant's voice rang out.

We then watched as he entered the room along with Coulson and May. Jeez, where did he come from? Skye grimaced before whispering. "He's like candyman."

"We should review the op." Coulson advised.

Once we gathered around the holotable, facing the screen. Coulson turned to face Grant. "Ward..."

Grant looked over at Coulson, nodding. "Mhm-hmm."

Coulson hesistated before he responded. "Can't believe I'm saying this, bring us up to speed on Bakshi's intel."

Grant wore a huge smile as he activated the holotable before turning to face the screen. The screen in front of us had a layout of the Hydra base.

"All right. Bakshi's using old Hydra text channels to provide us with intel, although m..." Grant trailed off as he turned to face us, only to be greeted by glares from well, all of us. He immediately turned away, but faltered over his words. "...Much of it is, uh... much...All right. Can we just address the elephant on the plane? I know. This is weird. Mistakes were made."

"By you." Leo retorted.

"And people got hurt." Grant added.

"Also by you." I chimed in.

"And I could stand here and explain again how my parents and brother left me vulnerable..." Grant began.

I rolled my eyes. Here we go again. Everyone grew upset upon hearing his words. That was his cop out, his excuse for everything. That was one thing Christian and I could agree on. Grant could never accept his actions for what he did, he always had to turn the blame onto someone else.

May scoffed. "We all had our traumas, Ward. All of us. Didn't turn any of us into psychopaths."

"Well, we all have our own ways of coping, don't we? For example, I was yours." Grant shot back back.

Say what? May and Grant were a thing? Since when? And for how long? This is the first I'm hearing of this. Apparently that wasn't enough for Grant as he then looked over at me.