Chapter 44: I'm Home

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 44: I'm Home⍟ ⎊ ⧗

Mack, Astra, and I made our way through the hallways towards the room where the beacon was at, Skye spoke up, looking devastated. "She just killed them. All of 'em. Didn't even think about it."  

"Yeah, I thought my mom was bad when she started watching Fox News." Mack quipped.

"And I fell for the whole act." Skye said, letting out a sigh.

"All three of us did, Skye. It wasn't just you." I reminded her.

"Look, you had to choose between two..." Mack trailed off as he motioned towards an empty hallway. "This way. You have to choose between two sides, that both mean something, I get it. You  make the best choice you can. Sometimes it works out, sometimes..." 

"It didn't." I pointed out, finishing his sentence.

"It did not." Mack agreed.

I took in Mack's words, realizing what he meant. Both Bobbi and Mack could relate as they were with our team and at the same time, working with Gonzales and his entire team

It was then when I realized we shouldn't have been too hard on them. We're all on the same side. We just made decisions we thought were the right ones...

"Beacon's in the sat room, down and to the left." Mack informed us. "Go get started. Try to hack the code and turn it off."

"What, where are you going?" I questioned, baffled.

"To find a power saw in case you can't." Mack informed us.

I snorted. "Do you have any faith in us."

"Oh now come on. You know I do." Mack said as he quickly rambled on to come up with an explanation. "We just need a back up plan."

"I know, I'm just messing with you." I assured him.

Mack let out a sigh of relief as he shook his head, but cracked a smile. "It's good to have you back."

With that, we parted ways. As soon as Skye, Aurora, and I made our way into the room, we scanned the area. The room was filled with monitors, tables and racks of controls. We found the beacon's controls in the back. However, as soon as we reached it, we heard a familiar voice ring out.

"How did you get out?"

We spun around to see Lincoln standing not far from us with a baffled look on his face. My heart clenched. This isn't good.

"Lincoln. I-I can explain." Skye began.

"Don't bother." Lincoln retorted.

He then extended his hands, which were engulfed with lightning. Well, that's not good. Lincoln raised his hands towards us, firing the lightning at us, sending us flying back against a wall and onto the ground. I let out a groan, feeling immense pain course through my body.

"You've got this wrong." Skye began.

"Very wrong." I added.

"Listen to us, please." Astra pleaded, chiming in.

Lincoln narrowed his eyes at us. "I just found you trying to reach out to your S.H.I.E.L.D. friends. You planning the next assault?"

"That attack didn't happen, Lincoln. Jiaying staged the whole thing." I protested as I raised my hands in the air.

"She murdered Gonzales, then shot herself to frame S.H.I.E.L.D. so we'd follow her to war." Astra added.

Lincoln stared at us in disbelief. "Do you even hear how crazy that sounds? Shot herself?"