X X V I I

Lai's POV.

All employees that were present at the scene were fine. Some got small scratches from the broken glasses but thank God no one was shot or severely hurt. Fortunately, they were all fast to respond when I alarmed them to get down.

The shooter wasn't intending to shoot anyone in the first place, he was holding the gun a bit too high for someone intending to kill. He was there to frighten people—presumably NCT—out of their wits.

The 3 cars that followed the shooter's car were Johnny, Yuta, and Jaemin. I don't know what they got, I wanted to ask Jaehyun but I didn't get a chance.

Jaehyun ordered everyone to go to the hospital to get checked but his employees politely refused, saying they were all fine. Jungwoo and Mark tried to convince some but everyone insisted that they were fine. Instead, Jaehyun just let them go home and extended the off until tomorrow.

"I'm very sorry for what happened" Jaehyun said, his deep voice coated with sincerity and apology. He gathered everyone in the meeting hall and along with his members, they apologized for the casualty.

He has such great regard for his employees...so much that it made me feel guilty.

I'm seeing how great of a superior he is. His employees look up to him, they respect him not only because he's their boss-- but because he deserves to be respected as a person. They assure him they're alright, and I can see it in the way they handled the situation.

"I completely understand if anyone were scared and wanted to leave after the prior incidents here, including the breaking into my office, the killing of one of our guards, and this shoot-out. You are free to decide whether or not to stay here if you no longer feel safe on the premises.

As the company's CEO, I am aware that I have a responsibility to maintain worker safety, yet it seems that I am falling short " He said.

Visible disagreement can be seen in the faces of his employees upon hearing his last statement. "It's not your fault Mr.Jeong" one of them said.

Right, it's not his fault. it's MY fault. Everything. I'm accountable for everything.

After everyone left the building he turned to me and that's why I'm here... back in his unit, again... for the second time around.

I don't know why I'm here actually. I'm too worn out to argue with him, so I just let him drag me to his car. He'll do what he wants anyway.

I sat on the long sofa in the living room as he entered his room. Not one second passed he came back carrying a first aid kit. I just watch him as he sat beside me.

"You have a scratch on your elbow" he said. I looked on my sleeve it was ripped. I didn't even notice its existence but now that he pointed it out I can feel a stinging sensation.

"oh, I didn't notice I have one" I mumbled.

"Are you sure you don't want to go to the hospital?" he asked for 5th time. I shook my head.

"I won't die from a ground scratch Jaehyun" I said. He gently reached for my elbow and softly pressed a cotton ball-soaked alcohol on it. I hissed at the sensation of the liquid touching the fresh scratch.

"It's okay..." he whispered. I stared at him as he gently clean my scratch. His touch is benign as if he's afraid I'm gonna break any time.

"would you do this to your other employees?" I asked.