X L V I

Lai's POV.

Right after Zhen dropped the line, I immediately took my motorcycle and drove my way to her.

She said she have something very important to tell me. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid but she sounded urgent and it makes me so nervous so I wasted no time.

The receptionist greeted me when I got to the building. Zhen told me to meet her at my old unit.

When I stepped off the elevator, the hall is pretty silent. I don't know, but even though I've just been gone from this place for about a week, the surrounding already felt weird to me.

I entered the passcode and the door beeped, signaling that the code is correct. As soon as I walked in, I saw Zhen sitting by the sofa.

"Lai!" she stood and hugged me. She looked pretty fine. I felt relieved.

"Why did you call me here anyway? you look just fine" I remarked.

"I just missed you... and I wanted to thank you for this place. I love it. I feel safe here" she answered, wearing a genuine smile.

"miss me? be for real we're not that close" I joked, softly breaking her hug. She laughed. I can't help but stifle a smile. She has a keen sense of people. So as much as possible I'm trying so hard to mask how I really feel. I don't want her to worry about me.

"who gave the keys to you by the way?" I asked as I took a quick glance around the place.

"Jaehyun"

I wonder if he told her everything. I wonder what she thinks about me now. I'm scared to hear... I don't have the balls to ask.

"oh, I see..."

"Why don't you sit Lai?" she offered. No way. She wants to have a good look at me I know her tactics.

"No, I'm ready to leave anyway. Seeing you fine is enough. Like what you did just now, phone me when something's wron--"

"Unnie, are you... okay?" her simple question caught me off guard. "I heard everything. Donghyuck told me everything. I-I'm sorry you had to go through all of this" she looked down.

She's pitying me. This is what I hate the most.

I wasn't able to speak.

"I-I met Yangyang, he's very kind. I have an older brother and an older sister... wouldn't it be great if we were all together?" she lifted her gaze, looking at me with such sad eyes. She knows very well that what she's saying can NEVER happen.

I wanted to talk... but I can't find the right words to say. Everything that will come out of my mouth will break her.

"Why are you hiding by yourself, Lai? can't you be with us?"

"us?" I asked in confusion. I glanced to the room on my right because I noticed a moving shadow a while ago. "didn't I tell you not to tell anyone that I'm going here!?" my voice threatened to raise.

For the love of God, I'm hiding because I don't want to harm anyone anymore! I'm being devoured by guilt!!

"I'm sorry" she apologized. Her gaze passed behind me. I looked over my shoulder and fuck it.

It's Jaehyun. He's standing by the door frame.

"I'll leave you two to talk" she said. I wasn't able to protest as the door on my right opened, revealing Haechan.

Just great. They've been watching us.

Haechan bowed a bit and without a word, he and Zhennayah left the suite. I heaved a hard sigh. Damn. They got me cornered.