S P E C I A L C H A P T E R I I

Lai's POV.

"It's always winter whenever I come back" I said as we walk. There aren't many people in the park since it's almost nightfall so we got to enjoy the scenery on our own without Jaehyun being recognized by people.

"I don't really like the cold season, it suggests that my birthday is approaching... and along with the thought that I'll celebrate alone again makes me resent it"

When I was young, mom would always bring me to a cake shop and make me choose whatever cake I want. She always save money months and months before my day so she could buy whatever cake I choose. It was simple yet it meant everything to me. It was only the two of us but I felt beyond happy.

I used to be so excited about my birthday not until I entered The Rose Corporation. They took everything from me, leaving me with nothing to smile about in my life... Nothing, not even my own birthday. Jia would always greet me and gift me gifts but I just can't bring my enthusiasm for that special day back. I just can't seem to like December 25th anymore.

I spent many of my birthdays and Christmases alone. So much so that I had grown accustomed to the sensation, even though it was incredibly depressing.

I didn't have much of a choice at the time.

"I despised the prospect of getting old alone," I murmured.

"What a coincidence, me too" Jaehyun finally talked after being silent for a while. He tucked our clasped hands inside the pocket of his long coat.

I stopped walking as he did too. I looked up at him when I felt something on my finger... a cold metal.

He turned to face me and let go of my hand. I pulled my hand out of his pocket and saw a diamond ring on my ring finger. I gasped.

"Why don't we grow old together Lai" his voice came out so raw and sincere... it caught me barely off guard.

"I've been gathering enough courage to take one big step and here I am now, taking a leap of faith.

I know there are so many existing ways to be happy in this life, but all I really need is you." As soon as he went down on one knee, my tears welled up.

"Shin La Yih, please be my forever only, will you marry me?" he asked before I could even process anything.

I couldn't hold back my tears as he looked up at me with such nervous yet loving eyes. I wanted to give him a firm 'I do' right away, but my sob was stronger, so I nodded consistently and the uncertainty in his eyes faded in an instant.

He smiled as he stayed kneeling. His expression says that he won't get up until I say what he wants to hear.

He's Jaehyun after all.

I swallowed my sob and quickly wiped my tears as I talked. "Of course, I do. I'll marry you Jaehyun"

He immediately stood and hugged me tightly, I buried my face in his neck as he engulfed me so securely.

I can hear some passerby cheering for us but all I can focus on is Jaehyun.

He pulled back and wiped my tears away with his warm hands. "I love you" he whispered softly. Suddenly, those three words have a thousand other meanings.

His eyes are telling me so much and it's melting my heart. I can't believe these are the same eyes that once stared at me with such threatening and accusing gaze.