Three

"I promise you I will never forget this. Thank you for allowing your son to help us out with this." Ye-Bin spoke and smiled at Jung-Nan.

Jung-Nan bent her head respectfully and gazed toward her son and Taehyung, standing nearby. She brushed away the tear that had just fallen from her eye as swiftly as she could. Her son had just tied the knot, and she couldn't help but feel bad that she couldn't do more to help him. She was well aware that she had let him down, but there was nothing she could do to change the course of events for them.

As soon as she felt Ye-Bin's palm on hers, her eyes went to Ye-Bin, and she smiled in a way that was neither big nor convincing.

"You must admit that this is a difficult day, right?" Ye-Bin questioned as she wiped the tear that had formed in her eye.

"I never believed I would see the day when Taehyung gets married. I am thrilled he paid attention to what we had to say this time. I'm sure this is a lot more difficult for you, Jung-Nan, and if I've never told you this before, please know how much appreciation I have for you and all you've done for my family and myself. We are thankful to you. Because of who you are as a person and how humble you are, I was able to think about Seokjin in connection with this.

I can imagine how unsettling it must be for you, and I don't want to be the one to discount what you could be experiencing as a result of it. Please keep me near and engage in conversation with me, particularly on Seokjin. I know it will take some time for him to adapt, and he will need our support during this process, specifically with Jimin. I was thinking that as Jimin's grandparents, we could take turns looking after him on some weekends; what do you think about that?"

Jung-Nan was perplexed about how she had gotten to the point where she was expected to act as a grandmother. She had correctly comprehended the terms of the agreement that had been established between Taehyung and Seokjin. However, she decided to keep her feelings to herself since her son was engaged in the situation.

"Seokjin will never come to us for help, and this is one of the things that causes me a great deal of concern. To tell you the truth, Ye-Bin, the feelings you and I are going through now are not similar to each other at all. You will never comprehend what it is that I am experiencing. I have a sense of defeat. I feel like a failure. It seems that I have no value.

I am not a mother like you who has been able to offer their kid everything that they want since it is not something I have been able to do. I am the mother who is benefiting while their kid is taking on responsibilities that are greater than they are."

Jung-Nan had never once voiced her opinion to Ye-Bin, but she had been overcome with emotion after watching Seokjin and Taehyung sign their marriage certificate. The realization that her son would not be returning home with her came crashing down on her like a ton of bricks.

She was surprised when she heard Ye-Bin's response: "you are right, and I am sorry. I do hope with us moving forward; I can show you that I am sincere in choosing your son for Taehyung. Taehyung is my everything; I wouldn't have considered Seokjin if I thought he was wrong for Taehyung. Also, if it helps, I will talk to my husband about Seokjin continuing school. I think it's important that he does, and I didn't agree with my husband or son on that."

"Ye-Bin, if you could do that, it would mean a lot to Seokjin and me."

"I will, I promise."

****

"You better not go out there and make a mess!" Jae-Duk warned his son as he glared at him.

Taehyung laughed as he adjusted his tie, and then he turned to look at Jin, who was standing on the other side of the room. "Do you understand you are the only one who has benefitted from all of this?" Taehyung asked Jin. "You get to sit back here and do nothing while I have to go out there and deliver a big speech while you get to stand back here and do what? Nothing-"