Chapter 6

Akshara

I enter the room I was told was mine and immediately a sense of relief takes over me. I must acknowledge that my enemy has a rich taste, if not anything else.

The room is spacious and well kept, the cream coloured walls give it an airy look, and the furniture is classy, does not overwhelm me in any sense.

I would have genuinely thanked that man for this room had he been a little more humane.

I slide the door and move to the balcony and a chilling breeze greets me. The sky looks beautiful, the full moon beaming proudly and for one second, I forget about the hell I'm in and enjoy the surroundings.

I go inside and take out the important stuff from my bag before I lie down under the satin sheets and finally realise how tired I was.

Despite that, I toss and turn around for the next few hours but I'm unable to sleep. I look at my phone and it's 2:11 am.

As the jug is now empty, I go downstairs to refill the water when I see that the kitchen lights are already on.

I quietly make my way in there when I see him sitting at the kitchen table with a pack of bread and a big jar of nutella.

He takes another bite of his nutella sandwich and dips the spoon in the jar to fetch some more.

I giggle quietly wondering if this is the same devil who is hellbent on making my life hell.

"What are you doing here?" I suddenly hear his voice in the same serious tone as always.

I gesture at the empty jug and without saying a word, move to fill in water.

The shameless man continues eating like an elephant without even looking at me again.

I wonder how someone who eats so much of sweet stuff manages to spew out poison the moment he talks.

"Say that again?" I hear him say and turn around to see his piercing eyes staring into mine.

Oh God, did I say that out loud!

"Yes you did. Again." His stare grows darker every minute.

"You've got... chocolate all over your face" I point towards his nose and bite my lip to keep myself from smiling.

He takes a tissue and wipes his face before putting the dishes in the sink and going into the study.

It's then that I realise that he had not changed his clothes since we came back and had not even slept.

This man is an alien.

I shrug my shoulders and go back to my room and try to sleep. This time, I'm successful.

I wake up a few hours later and realise it's 6:33 am.

He likes having his breakfast at 8 am. Sudha ji's words come to my mind and I decide to get up and get going.

I step out into the balcony when my eyes spot the guy in the black sportswear, running with his airpods on.

From the look of his clothes and hair, it seems like the devil has been working out since probably an hour.

Does this man not sleep at all?

I ignore him and go and take a nice, hot shower to prepare myself for the day.

At 7:55 am, I step into the dining hall where I find Sudha ji arranging the plates.

No sign of the devil, huh.

Akshara:1

Devil: 0

"Good morning Sudha ji" I greet her with a warm smile and she returns the gesture with an equally warm one.

Just then, my phone rings and the day takes a pathetic turn.

I take a deep breath and pick it up "Hello dad"

"You seem to have forgotten your father after your marriage, Akshara" he says in his fake loving voice.

This is his way of testing whether someone's around me, listening to him.

"I just came down for breakfast, I'm waiting for Abhimanyu to join me."

"Well you better keep in mind the things we've discussed Akshara, just because you're not living in my house anymore does not mean the rules no longer apply to you" he says slyly and I know exactly what he's trying to tell me.

He's got control of Ayush.

Poor Ayush, he's still struggling to accept my marriage after I told him that I'm marrying Abhimanyu for the sake of a business merger. I didn't give him the details but he's not a small child, he understands these things and I could not give him any random explanation.

My silence enrages him and he raises his voice "Listen to me Akshara, meet me in the office at 10. I think I need to remind you of your place" he says in a tone that in all honesty, terrifies me.

"I- I'll meet in the office at 10-"

Just then, someone snatches away my phone and who else would it be but the devil.

"Mr. Goenka, Abhimanyu just side" he says in a stern tone and it sounds more like a warning than an introduction. "Akshara will not be able to come today, you see I need to take my wife shopping so she can prepare for our honeymoon" he says and cuts the call.

Honeymoon? What the hell!

"What honeymoon?" I ask, shocked.

"Why Mrs. Birla, you sound amused" he smirks.

"Amused? My foot. More like disgusted."

His fists curl up in anger and he walks towards me, his jaw twitching.

I move a few steps back till I hit the table and he walks up to me, his height giving him the psychological advantage as he towers over me.

"Don't fascinate yourself Akshara. God knows I hate being anywhere near you. That is why I added that clause in our agreement.

Oh, I added it for another reason, to make sure you don't come crying one day that you're pregnant with my child to claim ownership over my assets" he growls.

I cringe "You think I'd do something so cheap?"

"Well, I'd rather not take any chances.

And just so you know, I have an image to maintain. Since our press conference yesterday, my PR has been trying to handle everything and keep my image intact. This so-called honeymoon is just a way to show the world that this marriage means something. But between the two of us, I hope we're clear that it's anything but."

He moves his face closer to mine and I feel goosebumps on my nape as he whispers "For the world, you're a Disney princess, sweetheart. All dolled up, living in a castle. But only the two of us know that you're not living in this castle, you're trapped in it!" his whispers in a cold, dead voice.

As he pulls away and turns around, I close my eyes for a millisecond and then speak up "Since you're so fond of Disney movies Mr. Birla, I hope you remember one thing"

He stops and turns back around and stares at me as I take two steps and reach him "The princess always wins and if this is your declaration of war, I promise you I'll be the last person standing" I say and walk off. 

.

.

Author's Note: Hi Guys! Here's another update for today.

This is my way of thanking you for giving so much love to the story when this is just the beginning! 

I hope you're liking the story so far, please don't forget to vote, comment and share your feedback!