Chapter 28

Akshara

Numb.

That's how I feel right now.

A few minutes ago, my father casually confessed that he had planned my mother's accident.

How did I never realise that?

Why didn't I think of that even when I knew what kind of a man he was.

Since then, we've walked into the building, entered the conference room and I was also instructed to drink coffee and pretend I'm liking it and I do all of that in a state of absolute numbness.

A few minutes later, an old man walks into the room and nods at my father with a hint of hatred in his eyes.

"Akshara" he comes near me "I can't believe I'm meeting you finally" he places his hand on my head and I feel a wave of warmth. I look at his smile and instantly, I know he's a good person.

"You look exactly like your mother" he tells him and my eyes get watery.

"Yes, she's a spitting image of Prerna" my father comes close and pretends to be sad.

"Akshara, I hope you're aware of why we're here" The man asks and I nod.

"I know the contract conditions must have been a little shocking and absurd but just know that your mother wanted me to put these in the contract. I'm sure she had a good reason behind it" He says as he stares at my father.

"I understand, sir"

"Before we begin, I'd like you to head to the cabin next door, a medical counsellor is waiting for you, she will ask you a few questions relevant to the contract" he says and I understand what he's talking about.

I quietly walk to the other door where I meet a middle-aged woman who asks me a few details about my sexual health.

After that, I go back to the conference room and the woman comes in two minutes later with a report in her hands.

She hands it to the old man who reads it and nods.

"Akshara, you will now hold 51% majority shares in Goenka Industries. You have been the COO of the company till now, you can choose to be the CEO now"

"Sir, I don't think I have the knowledge or experience to lead the firm currently. I think it's best if my father remains the CEO" I say as my heart breaks and I can see my father smiling from the corner of my eyes.

"Are you sure?" The man asks me, sounding confused.

"Yes sir, in fact 51% shares means that I'd have to make key decisions that I'm not ready for. I want to complete my education first, get an MBA and then work again. So I want to give my shares to my father who I know is the best suited person for this"

"What? Your mother gave them to you" the man stands up in anger.

"Sir, that is because she loved me. And I'm doing the same thing because I- I- love my father" I say those words even though they feel like poison in my mouth "and also because it's the right thing to do rationally"

"Are you sure, Akshara? This is a big decision, you can take your time" he asks, worried.

"No amount of time would change that decision sir, I'd like to get the formalities done." I say and manage to smile.

My father comes and hugs me and he tells me he's lucky to have me as his daughter.

Two hours later, I sign the papers that seal my fate.

The old man who I now know as Mr. Sen, hugs me and takes our leave.

"I cannot believe it!" My father screams in happiness and laughs like a maniac.