Chapter 25

Abhimanyu

I cannot believe my eyes.

Akshara walks out of the door with that Rishabh on her side.

I feel a wave of anger running inside me.

What the hell is this guy doing here?

And why is Akshara with him?

Did she tell him she's coming here?

Did they plan it together?

Why the hell didn't I get an update from Rehan?

I immediately send a text to Rehan to send me the latest updates about Rishabh Sinha.

I then turn towards the girl and look at her from top to bottom.

Can she help me out?

She somehow knows Akshara and since I cannot approach Akshara right now until I know what's cooking in that Rishabh's head, I could probably use her help.

"You said your name is Lavanya, right?"

She looks at me with a weird expression "So you can speak after all"

"I'm sorry I was thinking of something else earlier"

"Yeah, I saw what you were thinking of. She's really pretty, na?" She giggles.

"Yeah, very" I say without thought and then my face turns red as I realise what I just spoke.

"Ahaaan" Lavanya teases me.

"Can I ask you for a favour?"

"Want my help to woo her?" she raises her eyebrow.

"Uh- um- I mean-"

"You're blushing" she laughs and I feel my face heat up.

"Well, I'm here in Chandigarh for a job interview, I'll be leaving in two days. Till then, you have my help" she smiles and extends her hand towards me.

Two days. That would be enough.

I nod and shake her hand and then I tell her goodbye and we decide to meet at the bakery again tomorrow morning.

My phone rings and Rehan speaks up.

"Sir, Rishabh Sinha had travelled to Delhi with his father on the day of his engagement to Ak-"

He realises and clears his throat.

"A week later, he left for Manali and there's no record of him travelling anywhere else at that time.

He travelled back towards Delhi 3 days ago but hasn't reached yet.

His phone tracking suggests that he's in..."

"Chandigarh" I complete.

"Yes sir" He says timidly. "There are no phone call records while he was in Manali. There were several incoming calls from his father but he never picked them up. No traces of textual conversation as well. Looks like he had isolated himself completely"

"Thanks Rehan. Keep tabs on him, I want to know if he ever got in touch with Raj Goenka or his father somehow during this period. Because... he has met Akshara here. And I think her safety is at stake."

"Sir. And sir, there's another thing... tomorrow is Akshara ma'am's birthday" he whispers and I again feel a pang of sadness hit me.

"Hmm" I say and cut the call.

It's Akshara's birthday tomorrow. She's turning 22.

Akshara

As I work in the bakery in the evening, I start worrying again.

The day I had always feared is almost here.

My 22nd Birthday.

And even though I'm far away from Mumbai, a shiver runs down my spine as I think of my father. He will now double his efforts to find me to get me to sign those papers and give him my shares.

I don't want the money but I don't want to make him more powerful because the more resources he has, the easier it is for him to go after me and Ayush.

I don't want tomorrow to come.

I decide to keep my birthday a secret from everyone around, I cannot afford to gain attention.

I go back upstairs and I cook a special meal for Ayush.

This right here is my celebration and that's all I want.

Abhimanyu

The next morning I wait for Lavanya on the street beside the bakery. Five minutes later, she comes there looking like some sort of boho market. Who wears such jewellery and clothes these days?

I ignore my thoughts and hand her a bouquet of lilies. Akshara loves lilies, she used to get fresh ones for the vase in her room every morning.

"You don't have to thank me with these" Lavanya says and I roll my eyes.

"These are for A- Prerna" I immediately correct myself "Could you please give them to her? Just say that these are from you"

"Why would she accept flowers from me?" Lavanya makes a face.

"Just give it to her"

She nods and I stand outside the bakery, looking through the window. I watch as Lavanya walks up to Akshara and hands her the bouquet and Akshara seems pleasantly surprised. For some reason, Akshara looks towards the window and I immediately hide.

Then, her face turns towards the door and I see as Rishabh walks in with a huge bouquet of roses.

What the hell!

I feel a different kind of anger as I see him walk towards her. For some reason, I just want to go inside and punch him! I watch as he hands her the bouquet and says something and she looks around, scared and shocked.

What the fuck did he tell her!

She immediately comes out from behind the counter and takes his hand and pulls him outside the shop. I move a bit in their direction and I see her all shocked and angry.

"Who told you it's my birthday?" she whispers angrily.

"I- I had found out things about you when we were...going to get engaged" he whispers with what I think is sadness. Shut up man!

She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath.

"Thankyou for this" she points to the flowers "but I hate my birthday!"

I feel a little weird hearing this. Why does she hate her birthday?

"Why do you hate your birthday?" He asks her the same question and my fists curl up in anger.

Akshara stays quiet but a tear rolls down her eye.

And then, what happens next leaves me utterly, absolutely and extremely enraged.

He cups her cheek with one hand and wipes her tear with his other thumb.

"Akshara-" he whispers gently and I know I can't take it anymore.

Without thinking rationally, my feet just start moving and I walk towards them and push him away "Stay the hell away from my wife!" 

.

.

Author's Note: 

Hi guys!! How was the update? 

Do vote and comment. 

Next update after 125 votes.