Chapter 13

Akshara

Does anyone have an extra pair of eyes? Cos mine are pretty much gone!

These photographers and media people jumped on us the moment we stepped out of our car and the constant flash of cameras is giving me a headache!

"Mr. Birla, congratulations on the merger"

"Mrs. Birla, how do you feel about the merger?"

"Mr and Mrs. Birla, one shot please"

"Mr and Mrs. Birla, how was Paris"

Their questions are never-ending. Abhimanyu holds my hand as we just smile and walk towards the open area where the party has been organised.

"Sir we've heard that good news can be expected soon" A journalist says and that stops us both dead in our feet.

Whattttt?

If a husband and wife trying every day to not kill each other is good news, then you can say we have good news.

Abhimanyu composes himself and ignores them as we walk to the lawn.

The place is huge, there's a stage on one end with beautiful seating arrangements in front of it and on the other side is- looks like a kids' section in the mall!

The amount of money this guy spends on PR, he has left my father behind in being a hypocrite!

Soon, a lot of suited men come up to us, some of them paired up with their decorated wives and others in groups, holding their whiskey glasses.

I thought Kritika had overdone my look but now it seems like I'm underdressed. These women could be the brand ambassadors of jewellery stores with all these sparkly things they're wearing.

Abhimanyu introduces me to all these people and I smile at them as they tease me about my honeymoon in Paris.

Yes ladies, it was wonderful, I had a free trip to hell too!

Some of these men eye me in a weird way and at the same time, I feel Abhimanyu's hand around my waist as he pulls me closer towards him. I look at him and see that he's glaring towards those men.

"You're quite an actor yourself" I whisper "great imitation of the 'possessive about your wife' look."

He looks at me and I can see he's genuinely pissed off.

"I may hate you Akshara but I can't tolerate men who look at women like they're objects." he says and I don't know how to respond to that.

We hear the host's voice who takes the stage to welcome everyone. After thanking a long list of people for making the event possible, he then announces that it was time for the Chief Guests to arrive.

An actor? A politician? Maybe a sportsperson. Who will it be?

Suddenly, I see a group of girls walk up to the stage in line, they're all of different ages but still quite small. And they're all wearing these cute frilly baby pink frocks with bows on their heads.

"Meet our cute little Chief Guests for the evening, ladies and gentleman!" the host announces as everyone applauds.

A woman stands near the stage, giving instructions to the girls and they all start singing a beautiful song.

Their performance brings tears to my eyes and in a long time, I feel genuinely happy.

But what shocks me is that I see tears in Abhimanyu's eyes! He looks at me and he realises that I've caught him red-handed.