Chapter 30

Abhimanyu

I sit in the cafeteria, tapping my foot constantly as a sinking, nervous feeling creates a pit in my stomach.

Ayush sits next to me, playing a game on my phone while chewing on his burger.

I don't even remember the last time I ate something and it's not like I even want to.

Right now, I need nothing else except for the one who's sitting with some other guy who just proposed to her.

What will I do if she accepts it?

What if she comes out and says she's leaving with him?

I haven't signed the divorce papers yet, what if I tell her that I never will?

Or what if I lie and tell her that the contract prohibits a divorce completely?

Will she even want to stay?

How can I deny her the freedom she deserves so much?

What if she leaves me?

My mind goes crazy with every passing second as I find it difficult to even breathe.

Suddenly, I hear footsteps and look up to find Akshara walking towards me... with some papers in her hand.

I immediately get up and run to her but I just can't find the right words to say.

She breaks the silence as she speaks up "I spoke to Rehan, he said that the lawyer will get the problem resolved by today itself and send the newly drafted divorce papers"

I literally hear my heart shatter into a million pieces and some of them pierce my soul.

"How is that even possible? There was no-" I panic "uh- there- um"

"Let me complete that sentence for you Abhimanyu, there was no issue with the paperwork at all" she looks into my eyes and says and I start looking here and there.

"Why did you lie to me?" she asks gently and I still stay quiet.

"What did you tell him?" I turn to her "To Rishabh" I ask meekly.

"I'll tell you if you answer my question" she says firmly "Why did you lie to me?"

Speak up for heaven's sake, Abhimanyu!

"I didn't sign them. I didn't want to sign them" I look into her eyes "I didn't even want to send them in the first place, it was a mistake" I whisper.

I take a deep breath and close my eyes for a second before I make probably the most confession of my life.

"Before you tell me your decision Akshara, I want to tell you something.

Ever since Rishabh told me he loves you, I could feel a hollowness in my chest.

Every breath I've taken since, has been physically painful.

I- I don't know how to explain this but I just feel this way.

And before you say anything, I know I don't deserve to feel this way.

The way I treated you, I don't deserve this at all.

But I can't help it, Akshara, I wish I could."

She's about to say something but I stop her "Please let me say all of this at once, otherwise I might not be able to"

"I know he said he loves you and I admit I also know that he really means it.

To be honest, when I heard that I tried to convince myself to say the same words to you.