Chapter 23- The Collar

Warning: Graphic Violence

Chapter Description: Scott comforts Derek which brings them to a shocking discovery.

Scott walked through the hallways, instinctively searching out the sound of Stiles's voice.

"You won't hear it."

Scott turned to see Derek leaning against the wall, his eyes were bloodshot, tearstains were going down his cheeks, and his voice sounded hoarse. All signs that he was crying not even a few minutes ago since it hasn't healed completely yet.

"Trust me. I tried," Derek choked, tears threatening to fall from his eyes again.

Scott grabbed Derek's arm and pulled him aside to a separate room. Once they were alone and Scott hugged Derek, causing him to break down again. Scott's heart ached at hearing Derek cry like this. Usually, he's tough as nails and emotionless but still, Stiles is Derek's mate. Scott is already heartbroken from Stiles's sudden departure and he's just his best friend. But he can only imagine the pain of losing Isaac. Derek finally calmed down allowing Scott to let go of him but he still held onto his arms, scared that if he let him go Derek might lose all of his sanity.

"You alright," Scott asked.

Derek nodded and it seemed he reverted to childlike tendencies for a split second. He kept his gaze lowered and gulped for the air he lost when crying. That broke Scott's heart even more.

"I miss him," Derek croaked, letting his defenses down with Scott, "I miss him so fucking much. I wish he would've come to me. Why didn't he just come talk to me? Did he not trust me? Did I not show him enough affection and time?"

"No. Don't think like that, Derek," Scott said, "This isn't your fault. If anything you're the one who's always made sure that Stiles was okay. You did nothing wrong."

"If he comes back..."

"When, Derek," Scott said, trying to stay optimistic for his friend, "When he comes back."

"When he comes back I want him to stay with me," Derek said, "I will take him to school and more if need be but I want him to be close to me."

"I can talk to Sheriff but it might be difficult getting through to him at the moment," Scott said, remembering how distant Noah was last night.

"I know. I tried talking to him earlier," Derek said, "I've never seen him so defeated."

"Stiles was his sanity," Scott said, "Just like he's yours and everyone else's in this pack. He made dealing with this bullshit bearable."

"Even when he made those corny, sarcastic jokes," Derek smiled.

"Especially then," Scott laughed.

Derek laughed with Scott. Then he remembered why he came to the high school in the first place thinking Stiles would be there.

"I have to show you something," Derek said.

He lifted his hand to his neck and touched it. Scott waited for something to happen.

"What am I looking at," Scott asked.

"Nothing there," Derek said.

"Yeah, except your neck and hand... Oh my god," Scott said, realizing what it meant, "The collar is gone! It disappeared! How is it that possible?!"

"No clue," Derek said, "That's why I came here. I thought maybe Stiles was here and he fixed it."

"He might be here," Scott said, thoughtfully, "But not found."

"What do you mean," Derek asked.

"Not even Lucifer could find Stiles," Scott explained, "Like he masked his location. If an archangel couldn't find him then could it be possible that there's no way a werewolf would be able to either?"

"So he might actually be here," Derek said, slightly excited.

Scott grinned and then dropped his smile.

"You smell that," Scott asked.

"Yeah. It smells like... human flesh... Burnt human flesh," Derek said, running out with Scott.

They stopped at the sight of 7 angels grinning evilly at them. Derek and Scott both snarled at them. The angels fought with them or toyed with them until they started getting frustrated. Derek and Scott clawed through one of their skin. He got upset and picked them up telekinetically.

"I'll fry your brains into," the angel threatened.

Suddenly he dropped them and started coughing up black smoke that was choking him before his angelic essence was burned from trying to escape its vessel. The angels and the werewolves turned to see Void standing there smirking.

"Oops. I probably should've let you finish. My mistake," Void sassed, tilting his head.

Scott and Derek grinned.