The bastard children

When Eowyn was born, she didn't realise the weight that would automatically fall onto her shoulders. She was the first-born child to Rhaenyra Targaryen and Ser Laenor Velaryon or so she thought. It wasn't until her little brothers were born that she noticed the striking difference in how they all looked. Jacaerys and Lucerys had thick brown hair, even black in some lighting whereas Eowyn had the long silver hair everyone came to expect from a Targaryen. Normally no one could care but Rhaenyra was the next in line for the Iron Throne, so all eyes were on her. There was always someone whispering when the family were around but until she reached the age of ten and one Eowyn had never heard any about herself. Most of the time it was lords and lady's complaining because she was out in the courtyard training with a sword instead of locked away learning needlework and how to be the perfect wife. She was training with Ser Harwin Strong, someone she knew was her brother's father, but she would never speak the truth. Family was everything to her and that's how she had been brought up by her mother and father. She was close to everyone, everyone except her grandsire's wife and their children. Even though they Eowyn never carried any bad blood towards anyone. Yes, she was a Targaryen and dragon blood flowed through her veins, but she was calm and methodical. Everyone said she was a female version of Daemon, her great uncle and whenever someone said that she saw her mother flinch.

Another year had passed, another name day reached and there was just a small gathering. Just how Eowyn liked it, she had spent the morning sparring with her brothers and beating them into surrender as usual. Strong always gave her something to work on when they had finished their training and today, he had given her a book to read about the history of the commanders watch and he chuckled softly. "Happy name day Princess. Remember, keep your mind as sharp as your blade." Eowyn forced a fake smile and thanked the knight. She headed back to her chambers to bathe and change ready for the dinner her mother had planned weeks prior. Her handmaid helped dress her in the finest black and red silk and braid her long silver hair and then she headed to the great hall. The hall was full of her beautiful family, even her relatives from Driftmark had made the journey. What an amazing surprise, Eowyn ran to greet Rhaenys and Corlys with a giant bear hug. She should have known her grandsires wouldn't miss her name day. The feast was great, they were treated to the hog her father and brothers had hunted for this special day. This was one of her best memories and in the future whenever life got bad, she would remember this. Her light in the dark.

More name days passed; another brother was born – little Joffrey. Another babe born with the dark hair and features of Ser Harwin Strong. But no one said anything to the family directly. There were just ridiculous whispers. But in the passing years Eowyn had worked so hard, she mastered High Valyrian – learnt all the histories that was expected of her and became a master marksman whether it be with a sword or a bow and arrow. In the passing hours of Joffrey's birth there was rumours of the Queen demanding to see the babe. She knew her mother was in pain, giving birth wasn't for the faint hearted and Eowyn prayed that would never be her. She hated the thought of being stuck with a suitor she hated and just pushing heir after heir out. She was going to be someone, do something with her life. That night when Eowyn had returned to her chambers her hand maiden seemed to be packing up her belongings. "Agatha, what's going on here?" The servant girl gave her a small weak smile as she continued to clear the room. "Princess Eowyn, your mother has asked me to get you ready to leave. You're to return to Dragonstone." Eowyn felt her heart sink and she went to help Agatha pack, she knew what this meant. Queen Alicent had made it clear she suspected the true heritage of Rhaenyra's children.