The realms delight

The morning of Rhaneyras arrival had the whole castle rampant with nerves. All servants hurriedly cleaned and prepared a feast in the great hall and her old chambers were cleaned and dusted ready for her. Eowyn had nervously dressed herself in the colours of house Targaryen and her children matched, even little Aemond who would sleep the whole way through. Aegon had kept his promise and remained sober and dressed in his black coronation outfit, only because this was the most exquisite piece of clothing he owned. Eowyn had sent a tailor to Cregan, and he was dressed in black but there was the Stark banner stitched into his chest and on his broad shoulders sat his furs. Even Alicent had decided to wear something black, she had ditched her ridiculous green colours the day she lost Helaena. Aemond wore the same colours as his wife, standing tall by his mother and brother in the hall as the knights introduced Rhaneyra. Seeing her mother again, seeing how frail she looked made tears gather in Eowyn's eyes, but she was quick to blink them away, not wanting to risk upsetting her husband again.

"Lord Stark. I must express my confusion on seeing you here, away from the North where I sent my son to treat with you." Oh no. She didn't know. Eowyn saw the flash of panic in Cregan's eyes before she quickly stepped forward, holding the child to her chest still as he slept peacefully.

"Mother. Perhaps we should sit. I was worried the ravens we sent from Winterfell didn't arrive. The triarchy tried to settle in the North. Jace, Cregan and I rode out on the dragons to burn their fleet. We tried to save him, I'm so sorry." The images of her younger brother in the water haunted her and she tried to spare her mother the painful images of losing another child. "He was a hero. He saved the people of the North."

"And why were you there, dear daughter?" There was the venom. The venom that usually came from Daemons tongue. Her mother had grown bitter after all her losses and was fighting the urge not to break down in front of people she considered to be her enemy.

"After I believed Aemond had died at Harrenhal, I was desperate to put a stop to the death. I asked for Cregan's help. After he learned we wanted no harm to come to you, he offered his aid. We want you on the throne mother, I want my children to live safely. No more blood must be spilled. Please." Eowyn was practically begging and both Aemond and Aegon hated it. She was above all of this.

"Aemond's life and you shall have your peace, little one." The calmness in her mothers' tone and body language truly scared Eowyn. "You will become my heir and your children will be well protected."

Eowyn was shocked to silence and was about to speak before Cregan stepped forward. Which probably surprised everyone in the room.

"If a single drop of blood is spilled then I will call for my bannermen. Kings Landing will face the might of the North. Peace is being offered to you, don't let your stubbornness ruin it. Because as honourable as you suspect me to be, my Queen. I will not stand by and let fighting continue when there is a way out. For everyone. So, either sit the throne and declare peace between you all, or I put an end to the Targaryen dynasty." He stood tall, proud. He knew the might of the north would be feared. They always were. People believed them to be brutes. Savages.

Rhaneyra looked at Cregan before her eyes fell on her daughter who was just staring at him in shock. And like everyone else in the room she could see the way Cregan looked at her daughter. "You wish me to believe you would hurt someone you're in love with?" Aegon held his arm out, stopping Aemond from doing something. Whether that was to attack Cregan, Rhaneyra or take Eowyn away from it all. But that wouldn't help anything.

"My father told me about you when I was younger. About the realms delight. How King Viserys daughter wanted nothing but peace. But here we are. I'm from Winterfell, I will stay in Winterfell. Lady Eowyn was just someone to keep my bed warm on my travels. I hold no love for anyone but myself. So, if you wish to remain the realms delight, like my father proclaimed. You would take the throne." He lied through his teeth, but he said those words in such a way that everyone in the room believed them. Even Eowyn. And of course, she had no right to be upset as she had technically used him too, but for some reason it hurt. She stepped back to stand by Aemond and Aegon, not wanting to argue with her mother anymore or be anywhere near Cregan.