33

8 months ago

"You called me?" Norm ask walking up to their chief. Jake stands looming over heaven's gate. Crossing his arms and watching as the fallen soldiers are brought into the infirmary.

"What's the progress on that job?" Jake asks his eyes still focused on the gate and head counting all his allies.

"Um..listen.. I think...this isn't.." Norm stutters rubbing the back of his neck. "I think this isn't a good call"

"What's the progress?" Jake repeats ignoring Norm's concerns turning to look at him.

"You look terrible when was the last time you slept?" Norm asks, changing the subject. His usual golden eyes have glazed over in darkness that matched the bags that were forming from sleepless nights.

"Norm. What is the progress?"

"Jake look...I....listen we should rethink.."

"What's the fucking progress?!" Jake shouts, already on edge and impatient.

Norm just stands there staring at Jake. His friend that he can't recognize anymore. Cold and distant. War has changed him.

"Here." Norm says giving Jake the file. He opens the folder, flipping through the paperwork and looks over at Norm. "Wife. Two kids. Age, 10 and 13. Both boys."

"He has a wife? Ironic."

"Jake..."

"Do it." Jake orders

"Jake, this isn't you"

"Just do it." Jake says walking past Norm.

"Is this really how you want to honor her?" Norm shouts causing Jake to stop walking. "Look man, I know what happened was pretty bad but this is crossing the line. How would Levy feel if she knew you went this far?"

"She won't. Do it." Jake says touching his throat microphone. "This is alpha. We're moving forward with project Trojan."

"Roger. On standby with earth."

—————————-

I woke up to realize both Jake and Tru literally did sleep outside. Sitting in the same position I left them.

Jake had his knees forward with both of his arms thrown over them and letting his head in between.

I walked over laying my head on Jake's forearm. My back facing outwards with my legs folded leaning on the side of his abdomen.

He doesn't even need to lift his head to know it was me. Jake opens the arm that my head was on and wrap it around my waist tugging me into his lap.

Resting my head on his other arm while both my legs still dangled over his thigh. I leaned upwards pulling Jake into a kiss, his hand running up my neck settling behind my hair.

I pull away to look into his eyes. Glowing in in the darkness.

"I'm sorry baby" he whispers laying his head on mines and I just laugh.

"Am I suppose to be mad at you?" I tease. He smiles at me as I run my fingers around the curves of grin.

"No" he chuckles kissing me again. Jake's fingers softly caressing my back, running up to my shoulders. I pull away laying back onto his arm. "Sorry? I don't think I had enough"

And I just laugh wiggling out of Jake's hold and getting up. His eyes refusing to leave me. I slowly walked backwards toward the door frame. Touching the wooden edge. Batting my eyes.