30.5

"Long time no see."

Jake pans his eyes over and downwards "what are you talking about? You always visit me in my nightmares"

And his soon to be mother in law just chuckles
"Touché"

They stand in silence as Jake offers her a drink.

"Oh Jake." She sighs, taking his spare cup as he pours into her glass.

"What's the long face Yurka? Should be excited. It's a wedding."

Yurka looks over at Jake who refuses to back down and just stands there with a smug look in his face.

"What's wrong? Bummed out I'm here for life now" Jake throws back at her "you know your husband loves me. Don't know what went wrong with us"

"The one you murdered? Because of your war?" She corrects and Jake just chuckles

"Always below the belt with you"

"It seems the ones that love you; tend to always end up dead someway or another"

"Do you just brood at home thinking of these insults for me?" Jake scoffs

"Maybe that's what went wrong with us." Yurka says turning to stare down Jake. "I know the pattern"

"You know. It's always a blast spending quality time with you. Honestly, we should do it more often." Jake responds sarcastically unphased at her personal jabs at his political decisions.

"I recall you making an agreement to leaving my daughter alone." Yurka says

"Had a lapse of judgment"

"You? The great Turok Makto?"

"You think I'm great now?" Jake asks sarcastically "I made a mistake."

"Please. You were very adamant"

"I was also extremely high on a bunch of medications. You know...mistakes happen when you get dragged out of the infirmary a couple of minutes after getting shot at." Jake reminds her

"You expect me to wait to speak to the man who almost killed my child?"

"Of course not" Jake teases taking a gulp of his liquor "I showed up when summoned didn't I? Anything for the mother of my future wife"

"Wife?" She scoffs "What happened to thinking for her safety."

"What happened to not hitting her?"

"She told you that?"

"She doesn't need to" Jake shoots back sharply. "I think I've been pretty patient with you"

"You? With me? Don't make me laugh..."

"You're still standing here aren't you?" Jake cuts her off

"Are you threatening me?"

"Are you taking this as a threat?"

"Let me remind you boy. That I am still a Tsahik, she is still my daughter, my people..."

"Your people is my people. I am your Olo'eyktan. You answer to me. Remember that." Jake shoots back.

No longer letting her walk over him. "I don't step in between because I don't think it's appropriate to..."

"For what? For the optics? You're worried about your title?" Yurka retorts

"For my wife sake" Jake corrects "but you know who cares about titles? You."

She glared at him knowing Jake was right.