Chapter 1: Where it all began...

Cold, bright, wet, damp, dusty, rough, hardy, screeching, pain, pain, PAIN. I felt a flood of my own thoughts come flooding into my mind; causing my very self to become conscious once again.

 I awoke to see the rays of sunlight peeking in through the crumbling ceiling of an old church. Century-old darkened walls along with conceivable dust that was seen from the light shining down. Small bits of greenery stuck out from the hole in the roof; presumably overgrown plants rummaging through the place after years of neglect.

My eyes slowly adjusted to the faint light of the morning sun, and it was after a few moments that I began to see the place more clearly. There as I laid on the ground, I felt something flowing from my chest and upon raising my head, I found a platinum dagger stuck at where my heart should be. Memories of yesterday immediately were put upfront into my thoughts and as I processed through them, I sighed at the scene that had occurred in this sacred place.

"Right, he did that. I didn't think he'd have the nerve to do such things, but looking at his past actions and personality prior to being chosen, I guess some things never change no matter the flow of time and the experiences you've been through. " I spoke aloud in the empty room. 

A heart of black will always stay black, was what I had thought but quickly yet, a problem quickly arose in my head...

"Wait... How am I even alive..." I thought at that moment, seeing a fatal wound on me along with the pile of what seemed to be my blood staining my clothing.  It didn't become apparent at first, but a shadow laid onto the black coat and overalls I wore, then with my murky eyes I noticed a naked girl hunched over next to me. A shocking turn of events was what I felt and while I stayed silent for a full minute, I thought back to recollect any memories if I had ever seen this child in the past. 

Yet, nothing came to mind and I was left with a mysterious child with an unknown background. Raising my head again and pushing my body to move back a little, I got a better look at the clothless child and saw the characteristics of her petite body.

Her skin was as white as chalk and her hair was of dark obsidian. Other than that, her eyes were shut, and hovering my head over her, I could tell she was breathing from the movement of her chest; the simple thought of her being alive provided me with a sense of relief as if I had relations with the person in question. With thorough inspections, I could tell she looked malnourished and she was certainly an unusual find seeing how the people of this region typically harbor coloured hair. Yet under the peculiarly cold morning, she looked angelic under the spotlight of the sun that shone onto her; the light made her features along with her face stand out under it.

Reaching my hand out, I stopped for a moment and suddenly realized how pale my skin had turned. Bringing my hand closer, I noticed something else was missing as well then until I looked over to my left and there I found my left arm was missing; the limb cleanly cut off. 

"It must be from the fight that I had with him..." I said to myself as I struggled to bring myself upright without anything to lean on.

Taking off my coat and seeing how clean it was despite sitting in a pool of blood, it was really something quite miraculous for it to have not been dirtied. Holding up the coat, I laid it upon the child to cover her from the cold atmosphere and began moving her as to attempt to wake her up. 

"Hey, hey! Wake up there!" She heard; the first sight of her's being that of a bloodied man. It was the first thing she woke up to as well and quickly she shifted away from me in response. 

"Ah- sorry there, I didn't mean to scare you... Are you alright? You were here all alone..." I asked.

She sat silent there, as she grasped onto the coat that was draped onto her for a good while, her eye of yellow and a ruby-like red hue for an iris. Blinking every now and then, she eventually stood up and walked shuffled to me after sorting her thoughts of me.