Chapter 57: Insight and Changing of Fate

This time, I awoke once more to find myself in an armchair; the comfy sound of crackling firewood under the intensity of the burning flames which turned the timber into charred pieces of wood. I turned to see the rest of the room, noticing an unknown individual who slept while lying down on the couch across from me with a pillow covering his face. I looked around once more, finding that it was him and I that was only in the room, and right then, I recalled upon why I was here in the first place.

"Right... I guess I fell unconscious after releasing that energy... Guess I'm simply not prepared enough for it, otherwise, I wouldn't have fallen back like that..." I said to myself as I questioned whether the person before me was listening to what I just said.

Looking at the person before me, I felt no reaction from him his silence ever-apparent as well as the lack of any intent to listen to what I just said. Though it wasn't exactly something important I needed to keep to myself since I had already revealed to Gardenia and the others what I fired off on the top floor of the palace. Yet it would be both inconvenient for myself and the person before me if I happened to bother him further and as I got up from my chair to leave, a voice called out from behind me, urging me not to leave quite yet.

"...That energy you say, it certainly does pique my interest. Now, Vendrick was it? I heard quite a lot from you from those friends of yours, would you mind if we have a chat for a while?" The person from the couch spoke, sitting upright as the pillow on the face was set down to reveal the slit yellow intimidating set of eyes that glared me down...

...

...

...

"Hey, where do you think that dragon went? Really he's quite the nuisance, straggling out here in our palace and demanding respect when he charged right in like that, honestly, if it weren't for what his species was I would've pummeled him until he realized all the mistakes he committed!" Trixie spoke as she raised her fists, raring to go on as a fierce expression was plastered across her small adorable face that Gardenia couldn't help but giggle over.

"Haha... I wouldn't be so daring to do that, you never really know if it was of good intentions or not. Compared to us, dragons may just have a vastly different set of customs we are not accustomed to. It could be us that are disrespectful seeing as he was the clear elder among us back there..." Gardenia spoke, siding with the different point of view as she intended to justify the way he operates with others.

"Urgh, even if that's the case, he should've at least dumbed his temper down, I felt Christan back there was ready to battle in that injured state of his, it would've been a catastrophe if that had happened... Anyways, what did you bring along for Vendrick? It looks like you've brought breakfast for him. I wonder if he's awake..." Trixie spoke, but suddenly, a commotion sounded out from within the room, one that didn't seem quite like a friendly interaction nor that of an accident.

At that moment, they rushed in to see Vendrick with a blade formed of blood in his hands while on the other side of the room stood the dragon, Soldret with his draconic claws already bared along with his set of razor-sharp teeth that threatened to devour anything. It was a confusing scene, one they couldn't immediately make of but Gardenia knew well to quickly take her companion's side without a single forethought put into the action she made.

"Soldret!? What are you doing here attacking Vendrick? I thought you joined our alliance, have you decided to betray us once you got in contact with the person of your interest!?" The commander spoke aloud, reasonably angry with the set of circumstances that had been stirred up during their absence to deal with other chores.

"No, no... That's not the case... I didn't even instigate the battle, it was this one that pointed his blade toward me. But perhaps I should've introduced myself first to this fellow, with his skills, he probably attacked me by determining I was a dragon." He spoke with his hand rubbing his chin, his interests piqued ever more as he found the specimen before him becoming more intriguing.