Chapter 31: The ugly truth of her past

The coldness of the bed sheets began to seep in from the cold air that flowed into the room. Trying to grasp all the warmth my body heat emanated as I turned over the comfortable bed, my mind felt something off as I could sense this wasn't the usual bed I would sleep in daily; the inn's rough mattress and thin sheets only barely allowed me to have a somewhat comfortable sleep. Like window blinds, my eyes snapped open and there I found myself in a dim room with little sunlight shining through the windows.

Memories of mine quickly flooded back in as I remembered Jackie and I stopped by this mansion in order to seek shelter from the rain. Rising from the warmth of my sleeping cocoon, I slowly paced over to see that the rain had not stopped its downpour since yesterday and it even looked worst than yesterday. Suddenly, a few knocks then sounded out from the door behind me; the person behind the wooden door presumably an attendant calling for me.

"Urm, coming! Give me a second..." I said aloud as I fitted on the set of clothing that was probably put in my room after being cleaned and walked straight to the door where I was then met with the head butler himself.

"Good morning Mister Vendrick, did you come to find it comfortable here? I hope you did since it'd be quite unfortunate if there was anything wrong with the room we've prepared for you." He spoke in a tone just as formal as Mother Theresa; his hands set to his back while presenting his figure to great elegancy.

"Oh, there's no sort of issue. I had a great sleep actually, I was just a little disoriented when I woke up to such a comforting bed. I very much appreciate your people's work. I am quite grateful for Jackie's mother to even allow an outsider like me to enjoy such luxury." I replied to the man that seemed at the pinnacle of elegance.

"That's fantastic to hear! We are grateful to Mother Therase as well for even allowing us the opportunity to tend to the needs of Miss Jackie's companion. Please, if you would head down to the dining room, your breakfast will be served shortly by our professional chef. If you excuse me, I will make my way to wake up the young mistress..." He said towards me as his feet turned to ninety degrees perfectly and paced slowly towards Jackie's dorm.

In my mind, this place was getting weirder by the second. Jackie and I had already met with the head butler prior to us entering our sleeping dormitories. The impression I got from yesterday certainly had stuck to today but then again, I decided not to think negatively of the people of this house. This could very well be their way of expressing their kindness, it would only put me in a bad position if I were to criticize their efforts of exerting their elegance.

Down a set of stairs and taking a right, I then came to see Mother Theresa in the master's seat of an incredibly long and finely crafted table; the rectangular furniture used for the purpose of dining being fitted with many plates and utensils despite the house only having two guests and its master. As the door I entered through creaked open, her eyes came to open and as she sat there across the room, she called for me, seemingly anticipating my arrival before even knowing if it was even Jackie or anyone else.

"Good morning there miss, the rain still hasn't settled has it, looks like it might have gotten even worse than yesterday. Aren't you concerned about the garden outside? Looks like the wind's gathering as well." I said towards her, thinking back to what I saw through the window in my room as I sat down a few seats from where she was situated.

"Good morning to you too, and yes, we are thinking of erecting a small tent to help the plants from being plucked from the ground. Aside from that, I think it'd be best if you two would stay for a while longer until this horrid weather subsides. You and my daughter Jackie could explore around the mansion and even use our library, there have been some new installations made in that room and there are even some books that might pique the interests of a swordsman like you~" She replied to me as I noticed Jackie walking into the room with a tired expression as her fur-covered ears drooped down.