Chapter 45: Beyond Swordsmanship

Light steps against the forest floor. The light tap of the half-crunched brown withered leaves, the light graze of the leaves on branches that were barely pushed away from the small interaction. Though a group of five were passing through the area, they barely made any noise for they had learnt a technique to do so. As we rushed over down a small hill, I soon raised my hand up as the four behind me promptly stopped; their braking steps crunching a handful of leaves, showing their inexperience in this department.

The only exception to this was that of Bismuth who managed to stay soundless like a ghost during our movements toward the market area. As I gave a smirk toward the archbishop, I pulled out the map and had everyone huddle in, for we were only a quarter of a mile left before we were to pull in on where Eden's movements were last suspected to be. Though I did not expect to see him this time around, a visible threat was in the air as I recalled what happened to me with that inhuman strength he held back then.

"Only a short distance away huh... I really wonder how I came to join you yet again in another one of these ventures of yours. I really thought I had died back then, yet that man... Forget it, how's everyone's scouting. Any sights on our targets?" Bismuth spoke, quickly changing what he was initially about to say while directing his attention to something else.

"Nothing it seems... Rather, maybe it is a little too quiet. I could only spot a few horned rabbits around, but not anything else. Wasn't this forest supposed to be filled with demon beasts?" Varissa inquired as she peeked around the trees to see if there was anything she had missed.

"In any case, we shouldn't lower our guard down when looking into the place. If you've done your part, then just stand by for now. We don't know the area well around her and who knows, maybe a dragon will stumble down here-" I spoke yet before I knew it, hundreds of ice spears appeared in the sky and were headed straight towards us.

With little time to spare, I instructed everyone to scatter and as the onslaught of attacks finally ceased, there we looked into the sky where the cold mist slowly faded to reveal an oddly familiar yet unknown figure that approached us. With the sun beaming down from where it was levitating in the air, it was hard to identify the figure with both our eyes squinted and his hooded face covered in shadows. Only its very being was something I put great caution upon, for I could feel an enormous amount of mana contained within that being.

Without hesitation, I drew my sword and prepared for an attack while the others followed; my blade was not enhanced by my abilities quite yet for I needed to assess and gauge my opponent's strength before engaging in our assault. He descended from the skies and under that hood revealed a porcelain-like face and stiff movements that reminisced that of a golem under control of a magus. Its foot touched the grass and while I anticipated what was to occur next, it spoke; instantly the thought of an individual I had met not long ago.

"This is magnificent~ For that simple upgrade, it has already reached the pinnacle of seventh-tier magic. But looking like you're still standing, it seems that it wasn't enough to take care of the five of you, is it? Though I applaud you for entering into my vicinity, I'm afraid you may not live any longer to tell the tale of facing my greatness..." Naypaulm spoke, his voice sounding out from the golem he manipulated yet the doll's mouth didn't move along its speech; the very act unnerving my very senses as I took up stance.

"You wretched dragon, where is Eden? I'm sure someone working alongside him would know of his whereabouts! I don't have time to spend with someone like you! Tell us know or else we'll break this doll of yours and send it back in pieces!" I said, provoking him as I pointed the tip of my blade toward the still-floating golem.

"Perhaps your delusions have brought you to the conclusion you could even fathom in defeating me. You are but insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Like a bug amongst a town, nothing you do will affect our set goals brought by the evil god!" He said as the well of mana in his reserve surged through his artificial body; the very gaps of it beaming with the mana-blue glow.