Chapter 27: A trap set for capture

As he waved goodbye to Trixie and Amy, Arthur departed from the group in search of an old friend he could reach out to and visit in the kingdom. It has certainly been a long while since he'd come to this kingdom and seeing as how there was some time to rest right now, he decided that it could probably help kill some time while the group was recuperating from the long travels.

Slowly he went, not wanting to expend too much energy since he was already getting up the age, he took his time while making his way to the destination he had in mind and tried to look around his surroundings more to take in the city life. Taking a route less traveled through, he passed through a small market where he could smell the savory and mouth-watering goods of the stalls along with giving a smile towards the eccentric children that ran about in the streets.

Time flew by in as he enjoyed the wonderous scenery and the detour he took and soon, he found himself in front of a house located near one of the gates that led out to the southern part of the continent. Upon arriving there, he gave a small sigh as he found the place exactly the same as how he had remembered years back, and with a slight hesitance to walk up the stairs, he then knocked on the door; sounds behind the wooden door responded towards the knock.

In just a second, the door came swinging inwards and there standing before the elder vampire was a young-looking demon who looked up in confusion at a random person she didn't recognize in the door. Though Arthur was just as confused, he quickly recognized who was in just a moment and as he came to find this out, he went in to give him a hug, startling the child for just a second before she succumbed to his embrace.

"Oh how much you've grown little one, you were just a little one just four years ago! I hope you didn't forget your grandpop's friend." He said as he smiled widely at the kid who was still in a state of confusion; his expression telling all of what he was feeling then.

"Woah there looks like you're still not dead. If you like my granddaughter this much then why don't you press your own kids to make one themselves? This little rascal's mine!" An old demon spoke as he walked over towards the doorway to meet with his old friend.

"I've already got two impeccable grandsons, I doubt they'll listen to my pleas after pressing them for grandchildren for so long. Looks like you haven't changed much either old man Henson, it's nice seeing you again." Arthur said as he came to meet the man eye-to-eye with a smile while the girl he previously hugged ran behind him.

"What brings you back to Myra? I thought you went looking for a missing child. Oh wait, how could I forget that, it was just days ago... Is your family fine? I recalled them having a home in that kingdom, I can't imagine them... you know." He said, scratching his head as if he had said something insensitive.

"Them? Ah, I haven't received word from them yet but I think they're staying in the main capital right now. They were on vacation right as it hit so they're most likely okay. Though I must say... It's quite a shame how Alice went..." The old man spoke, the conversation now taking a sudden dark turn out of nowhere.

"Come on inside, I'll brew you your favourite since you're here. Take him to the dining room my sweetest darling." Henson spoke towards the child and slowly, she began making her way towards the room while looking back every now and then to confirm Arthur was following him.

Giving her a warm smile, he entered the house and followed suit with the young demon. It was a wonder how she came to be so shy when she came out to be such a loud baby during her birth. Stepping through the painting-lined walls and rug-filled floors, he noticed many family photos on shelves and passing by a staircase leading upstairs, he noticed the small but quick steps of the child before soon arriving at a fancy table.

Taking a seat, he looked towards the singular vase atop the table where a nice-looking rose stood out with its vibrant red colour. As he turned to see more of the room, he came to spot the adorable child taking a seat of her own on the opposite end of the table; her short height made it difficult for her to climb up while holding onto a book she wanted to bring. With a scene that would lighten up anyone's heart, he looked away for a moment to then see his friend Henson bringing in two tea cups and a mug to the table.