Chapter 55: Tribute and Hints

Eden stood him, the wound that flowed with blood already sealed up as he grabbed his weapon to approach the bigger picture of the battle. He was infuriated, his mind full of annoyance as they sullied his pride like this by turning the battle right against him at the last moment. Flowing in rage, his aura poured to an unbearable level, the very veins popping apparent on his arms and body as he stared straight toward the fortress; moments away from raining down slashes upon the building.

Naypaulm watched his unstable feelings exploding from his thoughts. He sighed, thinking human mortals always found themselves overwhelmed with the feelings that flooded their minds while disregarding the risks that came with the actions their irrational brains proposed. He gave a glace at him, signaling not to do so since they could very well be overwhelmed in moments if the two happened to get caught by the commanders and the demon king within the fortress. From past experience, it wouldn't be a surprise if he had already recovered to the point of being able to stand.

Yet his warnings were largely ignored, the aura that covered the former hero's blade already taking the shape of impossible sharpness. He felt as if he had to act before the person before him rushed in before everything fell into plan and with one step forth of his giant scaly feet, he noticed an ally's approach to Eden; her slow movement from the result of an injury and the sole white blade on her right hand being dragged along the muddy grounds. Rosemary put her hand onto Eden's shoulder, notifying him of her presence and immediately, the rage that welled up in his mind ceased to exist right then and there. 

It was as if he was snapped out of a trance-like state, his current thoughts that were blocked by his emotions and raging feelings now going like they were supposed to. A comrade who had not abandoned her position beside Eden, one that came to be part of the great five he used to venture in the past with, and the one who remained loyal now ushering him to calm down but for a moment. His heart was soothed by it and as Rosemary almost stumbled to fall onto the ground, he immediately grabbed her hand while gently setting her onto the ground for her to rest for the time being.

He was now thinking more soundly and his eyes turned to see the ruler of fires, he sheathed his blade, awaiting the next opportunity to attack while the group of demons within the seemingly impenetrable fortress was trapped like mice in a cage...

...

...

...

 My blade was swung forth, the thin edge slashing while knocking back the intruders that managed to approach the top of the stairwell. It was at that point I wondered how long I myself could endure such a large group, for the other entrance across the room seemed to harbor the same amount of people who were attempting to get past the defenses. Luckily, it wasn't as if we were short on firepower, for Trixie and Drax worked together tirelessly in order to keep back the ones not invited.

It was going well for the first minute, the enemies pushed back while we all kept checking if any got through. However, it was still inevitable for some to slip by and in that criteria, they'd be promptly knocked down. With each swing of my blade, the aura that covered my blade became thinner along with the blood that was under it. At that moment, I suddenly felt dizzy, my mind not working properly and my grip on my blade suddenly became looser by the second. It was the worst possible time for this to occur as exhaustion kicked me in the gut.

I plunged my blade forth, eliminating two before me and as I was about to move on to the next, I was a second too late in pulling out my blade, resulting in the muscles around where I stuck the blade's edge suddenly becoming stuck. Pulling it out with all the might I could muster, I felt a stab through my thighs and toward my feet. I couldn't see them, their sudden increase in strength along with the odd movements they could now react with quickly pushing past what defense I still held on with my body.