Chapter 11: Keen eyes on people's hearts

In front of the sandy gates, we stood with weary eyes as our anxiety was fixed at a certain level upon experiencing the unprecedented situation. While I noticed a few royal guards exiting the kingdom and shouts called from the commander that went along the lines the Walking Death was spotted outside the kingdom, we entered in without much complications due to the current rush that was occurring at that moment.

Presenting identification, we entered walked into the city only to then ponder upon the next move we would take. Carriages full of vegetables went by, and far away in the distance was a marketplace bustling with countless tourists and people. Trudging along the sand-filled rocky streets, we ended up sitting on a bench around one of the less commonly travelled paths.

The Kingdom of Thar is one of the longest-standing independent kingdoms of all. It is one of the best commercially traded kingdoms, being the central place that travel routes go through. It is a kingdom also known for it's defence, as being built on top of the evil god's rib cage, the structure acts as a natural defensive mechanism against large creatures that lurk in the great deserts.

Looking up at a willow tree, I eventually spoke to break the silence between Gardenia and me. Each of us thinks yet not having the slightest clue of what to do.

"Amy, how are we going to track her down? Those assassins of the syndicate, we can't even look around the kingdom since we'll only be arousing suspicion and soon captured. There's also the fact that this kingdom is also a gathering for the syndicate and council..." I said, remembering how I found out about this truth in the past.

"I am... not quite sure. I'm puzzled about how we'll bring her back, maybe you being a spawn of hers could help us track her down~?" The witch said, spouting nonsense and trying to land upon an actual solution to our predicament.

As we sit there helplessly and tried to jog our minds with useful things, we then heard the cheers of people from afar in the main capital. Turning my head forwards, I could see adults and children flocking into a street where they then waited.

"Come now, come all! For it is the day of the great Triesh festival! To honour our past brethren, the festival will also have the king personally coming this time! It'll be the first time in ten years he has willingly volunteered himself to take part in!" A well-dressed announcer said, his cheery nature and loud authentic voice catching everyone's attention.

"A large festival... The king... Hmm..." I said to myself, the witch overhearing my words as she sat there scrambling spells in her grimoire.

"Have you thought of something we could possibly do~?" She asked, curious about what was up my sleeve in the dire time; her hands went to close the book she skimmed through and instead moved over closer to hear my thoughts.

"I do have something... it might not work, but it might be our only option... Say, Gardenia, have you heard of the king's eyes of Anubis?" I said to her and instantaneously she lit up as if an invisible bulb atop her head had come alive.

'That's it! If we can get close to the king, we could present that letter from your old elf friend and get him to assist us in this! Though... how will we do so then, we can't exactly encounter him while being unnoticed~" She said, a finger held towards her purple lips; her eyes came to wonder and form a plan in her complex mind.

"It's probably a foolish idea... and could get us thrown into the cells... but I think I've got a plan..." I said as a smirk stuck onto my mouth that could only be interpreted as no good, though yet she went along with it, wanting a part of my antics in this whole charade...

...

...

...

"Tsk, why do I have to put up with you? I would've gone to that boring kingdom if only I knew I was to be paired up with you!" Julius said aloud, aiming his hostility at the feline commander beside the armoured horse he was riding atop.