Chapter 24: The Warlock of Myra

Donning a new set of clothing that was more fitted for travelling, I held on tight to my satchel as I began gathering my items from my seat and checking if I had all the essentials in it. Two days had already passed since I was in the village of succubus and incubus and here I was looking to find the whereabouts of Gardenia and the rest of everyone was at. Following the words of Ambroze, the kingdom was currently headed to was most likely where I could find them.

As the rough bumping of wheels moved along the uneven roads, I was quickly ushered to get off, seeing as I had already arrived at my destination. With the man who road with two odd-looking horses off down a road to a different path, I looked ahead to see the entrance of a kingdom which was bustling with people; the queue I was to begin my entry stretched out quite a large distance far.

All sorts of demons seemed to be present in this place and as soon arrive at a line to enter the gates, I soon found out why was it this way. From observing my surroundings, I determined that this place was a trading hotspot of the sorts, a place where people from all across the demon continent would come around and make trade. At the end where I stood, I peered over to see another path that led into the kingdom and upon further inspection found it was meant to allow carriages and large amounts of cargo to be taken through. 

Crates and crates of items were being brought within and occasionally I would come to see large monster parts sticking out of the larger vessels heading into the kingdom. Seeing the sheer amount of items being filed into the gates and how the great number of people were seemingly coming from the deeper territory of the demon continent, I came to the conclusion they were seeking work in a place where the land has not have become as destitute as the parts they came from.

Hours passed before I finally was able to take a peak into the tightly secured gates and from what I can tell, they took the process very seriously. Only allowing those with simple identifications and those who weren't handling any goods that are banned in the kingdom. Yet as it was about to come to my turn, I quickly noticed a commotion quickly sprouting out up ahead with a woman speaking with the guards who worked there.

"Please! I beg you, allow the two of us passage through! We have been walking for days from the Dark Kingdom with no rest. My husband has already passed and of all the children left is this little one I am taking care of... Our houses have already been burnt down and destroyed, please! We won't cause any trouble, we swear!" The woman begged as she held on tight to the clueless and innocent child beside her who donned thick clothing to shield himself from the harsh weather.

"We regret to inform you, however, we are not able to permit you through at this moment. Please understand that it is the rule and bending would make it unfair to those behind you. Unless you are able to provide identity and credentials, the most you can do is submit a letter to appeal for renewal or turn back and seek refuge somewhere else. We deeply apologize..." The guard spoke, bowing down as he did so towards the unfortunate individuals two before them.

With no other choice, they walked off as they leaned on the walls that separated them and a place of living. It was truly another case of being in an unfortunate situation. For a kingdom at this large of a scale, the bare minimum of requiring identification to enter allows for peace to be maintained within the lands. 

While the queue grew ever closer to my turn, I decided to walk out of the line and instead, approached the young woman with her child. Looking up to what was creating the shadow casting before her and with her eyes coming to meet a fellow vampire donned in a leather jacket and holding onto a satchel to his left shoulder along with a sword to his left waist, she wondered what business could it have her involved in.

"Is... Is there an issue sir? If you are taking pity on my pleas back in the gates then forget it, there's not much you could do to help me other than provide me accommodation outside of the kingdom... I'm sorry, I am just still a little irritated there... How are you? You look pretty young to be in this place..." She said, raising my eyebrows since I didn't know that vampires usually live much longer than humans do.