Chapter 9: To repay old favours

The smell of smoke still lingered along the paths of the capital and the evening sun didn't budge no matter how much he glanced over as he waited... Julius stood outside to doors of the castle, waiting for someone in order to report on the current situation that was on hand. His foot tapped onto the ground as his impatient nature made him this way.

"Tsk, that fire spirit really made that whole ordeal a lot more annoying for me. I wanted to fight the thing causing the entire thing... yet it seems like King Amber had already taken care of it... Fucking hell, this day can't get any worse..." Julius said, cursing at the bad luck he's been tumbling down over for the entire day

"Thought, it was weird how a fire spirit could be summoned by something even he can defeat... He's by far not weak at all yet... Could it be-" He pondered upon the possibility of an event occurring in his thoughts, though the door to the castle suddenly opened with King Amber coming out?

Seeing him closely, he hadn't changed at all through the years. Back when their party were to adventure through the lands to clear out the demons who had been wreaking havoc all around, he had not the slightest change in appearance despite the years that have passed. With pointed ears, his prim pretty face and the eternally loyal lieutenant behind him, following his every step, Julius felt envious of the prestige he had built up.

"What took you so long? You know we don't have time to be dawdling around your kingdom. Give up the reports of that bastard Vendrick..." Julius spoke, and Lieutenant Bryan glared at him with an intimidating stare in response to his rude tone; the act he made seemed to be that of a wild dog in the eyes of the esteemed mage.

"Very well hero Julius, we had our guards searched throughout the kingdom yet have come up with nothing. It appears he had left the kingdom during the incident of the dark elf's destruction and left no traces. The only records of their arrival were through the gate and in an inn, yet he wasn't seen at all afterwards. You all know too that Vendrick is the type to plan prior, so it isn't  surprising for him to get away like this." He told him, handing a paper to his previous whereabouts and waiting for a response.

"Tsk, one step behind huh... Urgh, I'll see you later. Keep a lookout for now, he couldn't have gone far... And one more thing... could you tell me how strong was the opponent you faced this morning?" He said with slight aggression in his voice, hinting to the king that he was suspicious of something.

"The dark elf's strength was a mystery to even myself. I had never seen such power erupt in such a vessel before. I suspect it has something to do with the dark energy of your people's prophecy, though we had no certain way to confirm this at the moment." King Amber replied, his face set to that of a serious tone so as to not arouse suspicion in his judgement.

"Is that so, the evil god's power? What a joke, if that evil god really had such powers, we would be in much greater trouble. I'll leave you all alone now, we'll keep in contact with your people if any traces of him comes up. Though... I'll surely know if he does come up..." Julius told him, a small but audible sly nature being the act he put up. 

As King Amber and his right-hand man Bryan stood in front of the stone railings of his castle; the damages were still apparent from the dark prints caused by the fire. They watched as Julius walked away from the two, his steps growing fainter as further, he went. Upon not seeing him in sight anymore, he then gave a sigh of relief as he held his hand and leaned onto the railing.

"Your Majesty, you did complete your objective splendidly. But are you really sure trusting that old acquaintance of yours is better than protecting your kingdom to be suspected by the Kingdom of Garrison? Ah forgive me for my insolence, it is not my intention to speak so freely..." He said, bowing down to his greatness.