Chapter 37

Delaney Sugg

James came back in the house later that afternoon for lunch. His friends headed home and I wanted to get to know James a little better. I some sandwiches for Randy, James and I and we sat at the table outside together.

"So James, have you always lived in Alabama?" I asked the southern boy.

"Yes ma'am. My momma always says I can come here because it gives her a break to be alone, I guess." James admits taking a bite of his sandwich.

"What about your dad? What does he do?"

"Haven't seen my dad forever. Momma said he went on a business trip 'bout 4 years back. I figured out that he was never comin' back. Him and momma always fought." It seemed like James didn't even care.

"Oh...Ok....well, do you want some more lemonade?" I asked.

"No thanks. Can I go for a swim? Brought my trunks along."

"Sure."

"Sweet! Thanks!" James stood up but grabbed his plate first clearing the leftovers in the trash and setting the plate in the dishwasher then ran off to get his swim suit. Randy continued eating as did I as James came back down and ran outside. I watched as he went up the diving board and jumped off. He seemed distracted.

"Randy, did you know about James' parents not really wanting him?" I asked. I was very confused.

"Yeah...His mom would be very happy if she could get rid of him for an hour let alone a whole summer. His dad left because of the parents fighting. They got a divorce a long time ago but James never knew. They always lived together until my uncle could find a new place to live. While he lived there my aunt and uncle fought over who got full custody of James and my aunt was the person who won sending my uncle to Oregon where he lives today." Randy explained.

"So...no one has ever told James this information?" I asked.

"Nope. We don't want to make him confused."

"He's nothing but confused right now! Randy, he's what, 14 maybe 15 he needs to know these things!"

"I know he does. My mom doesn't want us telling him because she's afraid that he won't ever come spend the summers with us again."

"He will if you tell him the truth. Its better late than never. You have to tell him. Actually, go out right now and talk to him. Im going to do the dishes." Randy nodded and sighed and I went to do the dishes. I watched through the window as Randy went out back and told James to come sit by him for a little. I saw James go and sit by Randy on a lawn chair and Randy started talking to him.

James Smith

I was swimming when Randy asked me to come out for a sec. I did and sat in one of those lawn chairs my momma has at home.