73

Jada's heart was beating out of her chest as she watched Callie take on yet another monster. Her suit was wearing down from the constant attacks and she was tiring. Jada tried to put her feet in motion, to rush to Callie's aid. But she couldn't move.

And she was forced to stand there and watch as the love of her life was murdered right in front of her. "CALLIOPE!"

"Jaelynn."

Callie had to twist out of the way to avoid her wife bolting upright. Jada bolted into an upright position and looked around. Her heart was going crazy, she was breathing heavily, and covered in a layer of sweat. As she wiped the back of her forearm across her face, Jada wasn't sure what she was catching, sweat or tears.

"Jaelynn."

"Calliope?"

Jada felt her body suddenly relax the moment Callie's strong and familiar arms wrapped around her. "It's okay, I'm here."

"What happened?" Jada stammered as she struggled to calm herself down.

"You had a nightmare," Callie supplied softly.

"Why is your eye all red?" Jada asked after turning to face Callie. She had already turned the nightstand light on, and the redness in Callie's left eye was noticeable in the darkness.

"You woke me up with a nice elbow to the face," Callie teased. "You hit hard when you don't want to."

"I did that to you?"

Jada didn't need to ask, or need an answer from Callie. She knew it was her doing. In her nightmare, she was flailing her arms in an attempt to break free of her shackles.

"I'm sorry Calliope," Jada said as she began to cry. "In my dream there were monsters trying to hurt you and they did and I couldn't save you."

"You have nothing to apologize for."

"I hope that doesn't turn into a black eye in the morning."

"If it does, I'll wear it proudly because it's from you," Callie teased.

"That makes me feel even better."

Callie tightened her arms around Jada. "You're here, in bed with me. You're safe."

Jada slightly nodded before burying her face into Callie's neck. "I thought I was going to lose you again," she whispered.

"I think I'm pretty hard to get rid of," Callie said as she began to feel Jada shiver. Now that Jada was calming down, the hot sweat on her skin was beginning to cool. "Here, let's get you warmed up," Callie said as she pulled the covers back up over Jada.

Laying back down, Jada told her wife, "Baby, you can go back to sleep now I'm sorry for waking you up."

Callie shook her head. "I'm not going back to sleep until you're ready to."

"Are you sure. I'm going to need some time to settle down."

"One hundred percent."

"I love you," was Jada's immediate reply as she cuddled up against Callie's side. Getting Callie on her back was one of Jada's favorite positions to sleep in. She was able to rest her head on Callie's shoulder, throw her leg over Callie's, and trace her fingers over Callie's chest. And she was held tightly against Callie's chest by Callie's strong and secure embrace.

"I love you more than anything, Jaelynn."

"I love you too. I am so truly, deeply, in love with you."