Chapter 11

10th December, 1997
*Anastasia's POV*

Like I thought, the friendship between me and Michael became stronger with each day that went by ... I still haven't told him anything about my feelings, and I probably won't until he gets the divorce.
For now I'm just enjoying our friendship.
Debbie didn't seem to bother anymore, when she sees me around Michael or Prince, which is a good thing.

Me and Michael went back to our routine, talking over the phone at night when I didn't have a night-shift at the Ranch, and when I was there for my shift he would come to me and we both have a chat.
But in the past few days he's been busy with work, he is also working on some new music, probably on a new album, that's why he didn't come often to chat with me or there were even nights where we wouldn't talk on the phone because he's in the studio. And that's okay.

Today I have another night shift, and Michael begged me to accompany him to the studio tonight, so I guess I'll be staying there with him. I've never heared him sing personally... so I can't wait for that.
I just finished getting ready, wearing as always a black suit, this time I decided to straighten my long brown hair. Once I've had dinner I grabbed all my stuff and left my apartment, entering my car and driving to the Ranch.
As soon as I arrived I greeted the other's, like I always do, and entered the House. No one was to be seen, so I decided to get back outside standing in front of the main door, waiting for Michael to come outside.

After a few minutes he finally came outside, greeting me with a hug.

"Good evening, Anastasia." he said with a smile plastered on his face,
"Good evening, Mike." I replied, smiling back. "Should I get the car ready to escort you to the Studio?" I then asked, he nodded, I then nodded back before leaving and getting the car ready.

He then stepped in the car and I started driving out of the Ranch, headed to the Studio. It was silent for the whole entire ride, I would look into the rare-view mirror sometimes to look at him, hoping that he would look back, but he was focused on a little notebook he was holding in his hands.

"What are you looking at?" I then asked while I looked back at the street,
"Uh it's a song that I've been working on..." he replied shyly while scratching the back of his head adjusting his fedora.
"Can I hear it?" I said with a smile on my face, giving a quick look at him through the rare-view mirror.
"No! No, it's not ready yet." he then snapped, causing me to giggle.
"Okay okay..." I replied and sighed.

After a few minutes we arrived at the Studio, and of course there were Paparazzi's and Tabloids everywhere. God, when will they let that man in piece?
I exited the car, walking to the door of the backseat's, opening it and protecting Michael while he stepped out of the car.
He waved at some of the cameras before entering the Studio.

I never left his side, trying to protect him at all costs.
Once we were in the Studio he greeted the other's and started discussing with them over music and the songs that he's been working on and that he wanted to throw on tape.
I remained at the door, not leaving the spot, in case someone would come in and I had to protect him.
My eyes never left him, I kept staring and glazing at him, and as soon as he started to record and sing some songs that he's been working on, I felt shivers down my spine ... his voice sounds even more angelic when hearing him live. It was relaxing... how could a man be that talented?

'Everything will be alright
He assures her
But she doesn't hear a word that he says
Preoccupied
She's afraid
Afraid what they've been doing's not right
He doesn't know what to say
So he prays
"Whatever, whatever, whatever
"Whatever happens
"Don't let go of my hand" '

When he sang that part, I realised that... no way, it's impossible right? Is that song about... us? It fits perfectly with what happened between us.
I had goosebumps all over my body.
At some point he looked at me, through the glass that was separating the two rooms, and he gave me a nervous smile. I gulped and slightly smiled back. 'Whatever happens don't let go of my hand' ... I will never, Michael.

*Michael's POV*

I was now in the recording room, trying to record the song that I've been working on. Anastasia kept staring at me, and at some point she looked shocked... she probably just realised that the lyrics is about us, and yes, it is indeed.
That's why I wanted her to accompany me to the Studio tonight, I wanted her to hear this. Don't you let go of my hand, Anastasia...

I kept recording the song over and over again, until I was pleased with it, correcting some parts.

"Alright, Mike... why don't you take a break now?" my manager Frank said through the microphone, I nodded
"Okay Frank.." I replied through my microphone before taking off my headphones and walking over to the studio room where they all were sitting.

I signed Anastasia to sit on the sofa with me, and she did so.

"So... how do you like the song?" I whispered to her, she seemed nervous.
"U-uhm... it's really beautiful..." she replied, I giggled while looking at her.
"It is?" I asked, and she nodded. "How was the lyrics?" I then asked, longing to know what she really thinks about it. She gulped.
"It's about us isn't it?" she then whispered so that no one could hear her, I then gently grabbed her hand caressing the back of it with my thumb.
"What if?" I asked, whispering back. That's when our eyes met... she remained silent, I flashed her a sweet smile and she suddenly started blushing and smiling from ear-to-ear.
"I ... would never let go of your hand, Michael. Whatever happens." she then whispered, that made my heart race like crazy.
"You won't?" I asked, still looking at her. She shook her head, reassuring me.

How am I going to tell her that I love her?