𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐨 𝐜𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐞

✯

At the end of the day, when it comes down to it, all we really want is to be close to somebody. And no matter how much we hurt them, the people that are still with you at the end of the day, those are the ones worth keeping.

Maddie sat in Doctor Andrew Perkins office, she was mentally watching Shrek inside of her head, trying to ignore what the counsellor was saying. She knew she wasn't helping herself, but she found these sessions incredibly boring.

"I think you're in denial." He said.

Now this caught Maddie's attention.

"Denial?" She laughed.

"I had to say something to grab your attention but yes. I do believe you are. You're not really participating in these sessions, just listening. I think you know you need help, you just don't want to admit it. You feel weak." He gave her a soft smile.

Maddie liked that he didn't have a look of pity or worry in his eyes like most people did.

"Kinda felt like you read my mind there." She crossed her arms.

"Kinda my job." He crossed his arms back at her. "You're not close with your mother?"

"Woah settle down hot pants!" Maddie chuckled. "I thought this was PTSD counselling or whatever so I can get cleared for surgery."

"It is."

"What's my mother got to do with that?"

"Maddie." He sighed, leaning forward. They were both sat on couches, opposite each other, a coffee table in between them. "Do you think you have some unresolved issues and feelings regarding your mum?"

"Not relevant." Maddie rolled her eyes knowing he was right.

"How's it been since you moved back home?" He changed the subject.

Maddie narrowed her eyes at him. "It's been okay."

He jokingly cheered. "I told you that you wouldn't kill Izzie."

"Oh there's still time." Maddie laughed before catching Doctor Perkins' look. "Be better, not bitter." She whispered, forcing a smile. "Not worth possibly losing my job over."

"I want to do something we've not done yet. We've been taking these sessions very slowly, but now I want to talk about what happened."