𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫

✯

In life, only one thing is certain, apart from death and taxes, no matter how hard you try, no matter how good your intentions, you are going to make mistakes. You're going to hurt people. You're going to get hurt. And if you ever want to recover, there's really only one thing you can say.

"Pasta la vista baby!" Maddie grinned serving up two bowls of pasta for her and her big sister after she finished cooking the meal in her kitchen.

Lexie laughed at the way her sister got so excited over such small things, she found it adorable.

"What the hell is this?" Meredith snapped, walking into the kitchen, Derek behind her.

"I invited Lexie over!" Maddie beamed. "For pastaaa... la vista baby."

Lexie awaited anxiously for Meredith's response.

"Why the hell would you do that?"

"She's our sister..." Maddie shrugged like it was obvious.

"She's not." Meredith rolled her eyes.

"Well she is."

"I'm gonna.. I should go." Lexie stood up.

"No, you should stay." Maddie spoke up.

Derek and Lexie shared a look, not knowing what to do.

"No, you should go." Meredith firmly spoke.

"Why are you being like this Mer?"

"Maddie... she's not our sister, she just happens to have the same biological father as us, she's not really our sister."

Maddie looked to Derek who gave her an apologetic look, not wanting to get involved in the argument between the sisters.

"I just want to get to know my sister, what is so wrong with that?" Maddie's voice got louder.

"I'm your sister!" Meredith shouted.

Maddie's eyes softened, understanding the issue, she was about to speak again before Meredith stormed out, Derek following after her.

"I'm so sorry.. do you want me to go?" Lexie asked, looking at her youngest sister.

"You don't have anything to apologise for Lexie, you're staying till we finish this pasta... la vista baby."