𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧' 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐢𝐧'

✯

As surgeons we live in a world of worst-case scenarios. We cut ourselves off from hoping for the best because too many times the best doesn't happen. But every now and then something extraordinary occurs.

The past week had been hectic. Denny had left Izzie $8 million and she decided to use it to help open Bailey's free clinic in the hospital.

About the only good deed she's ever done Maddie thought to herself when she heard about it.

And George had taken some time off with Callie after the passing of his father. So,
Maddie was now currently in the clinic with Bailey, Alex, Cristina and Izzie.

Meredith was visiting their mom and really should've been back by now but Maddie tried not to think about it too much.

"Hey, welcome to the Denny Duquette Memorial Clinic. Barring any surgical emergencies you will be working here today." Bailey said to her interns.

Working on what... Maddie thought as she looked around the empty clinic.

"Working on what?" Cristina asked. Maddie snorted, trying to cover her laughter up with a cough when Bailey looked at her.

"Right now, Olivia will be familiarizing you with the protocol for the flu vaccine."

"Where is everybody?" Izzie asked. "The underserved, uninsured population that we're supposed to be helping."

"The underserved, uninsured will come. You'll see. Just watch the door."

They all picked up when the door opened a couple of minutes later, however it was only Mark and Richard.

"Doctor Bailey, congratulations on the opening of the clinic!" Mark smiled, walking in. His smile widening when he caught sight of his favourite intern.

Richard looked around. "It is open isn't it?"

"Someone's coming!" Izzie said, still watching the door.

George and Callie walked in, Maddie beamed from ear to ear, happy to see George again.

"O'Malley, welcome back. You're late." Bailey said, an unimpressed look on her face.

"We got married in Vegas!" George announced, loud and proud.

Maddie dropped her stethoscope, her eyes widened dramatically.