𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝟏-𝟐-𝟑

✯

A surgeon's education never ends. Every patient, every symptom, every operation...is a test, a chance for us to demonstrate how much we know...and how much more we have to learn.

Alex and Maddie sat together on the young interns bed, Alex had her wrapped in his arms, listening to her soft cries.

It had been several days since Susan's death, today was her funeral and Maddie's anxiety was at a high. Her and Meredith decided they'd be going to the funeral, even though they knew their father wouldn't want them there.

And on top of that, today was also the day of the interns first year medical exams.

"You know, we could talk to Webber, I'm sure under the circumstances you could take the exam another time." Alex quietly spoke as he soothingly rubbed his hand up and down her arm.

"No I- I can't do that, life is just so cruel sometimes!" Maddie groaned. "Susan was one of the nicest people..."

"I know." Alex sighed, holding her tighter. "Come on, it's 4am, you need to get some rest."

"And so do you." She pouted. "I'm so sorry, you should be studying not sitting here with me."

"I'm right where I need to be Mads." He smiled at her.

Later that morning, Maddie and Meredith arrived at the hospital before their fellow interns.

"Greys, you two okay?" Bailey asked, seeing the sisters, who looked a little worse for wear.

"We're fine, thank you." Meredith said, rolling her eyes, tired of that question the past couple days.

"I'm gonna go get a coffee, you want anything?" Maddie asked her sister who shook her head before they parted ways.

Meredith sighed. Caffeine was Maddie's fuel but it didn't do her anxiety any favours.

"Hi." Derek said as he entered the elevator where Meredith was.

"Hi."

"I know this is an.. impossible day for you. I just wanted to let you know I brought a black suit with me.. just in case."

"Thank you." Meredith smiled. "But this is something I need to do myself.. well with Maddie."

Derek nodded. "How is she?" He asked. His person had been distancing herself recently.