𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐠𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐚 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞

✯

In the practice of medicine, change is inevitable. New surgical techniques are created, procedures are updated, levels of expertise increase. Innovation is everything. Nothing remains the same for long. We either adapt to change... or we get left behind.

"Derek!" Maddie squealed, running into the neurosurgeon's arms. He laughed as he picked her up, spinning her round.

Him and Meredith had broken up, putting Maddie in an awkward position and although she knew they would end up back together again, her sister assured her it was fine for her and Derek to stay friends. Meredith knew how close they were.

They needed each other, like she needed Cristina.

"I've missed you." He mumbled into her hair before he let her go.

"I've missed you too." Maddie smiled at him as they walked through the hospital together.

"Maddie Grey, the resident." Derek looked proud. "How you feeling?"

"Nervous." She admitted. "But excited!"

"Don't worry, you'll be amazing, you always are." Derek smiled and kissed her forehead before they parted ways.

Maddie was in earlier than her fellow residents, she wanted to be prepared, she was ready to meet her interns and teach them. Although, she was worried they wouldn't take her seriously considering she's a couple years younger than the average intern.

"My baby intern... now a resident." Bailey smiled, approaching the youngest Grey as she walked through the hospital.

"Hey Momma B." Maddie smiled back, evidently nervous.

"You're going to be a fantastic resident Maddie, you have nothing to worry about." Bailey rubbed her back.

"What if they don't like me?"

"Everybody likes you." Bailey grinned.

Soon, Maddie's fellow interns... fellow residents had arrived. They now used a residents locker room which was a lot nicer than their former basic intern locker room.

George had also confided in Maddie about how he failed the intern exam and he decided to resit his intern year. She was devastated for him but assured him it happened to a lot of people, she didn't really know that but she just wanted to make George feel better.