𝐡𝐚𝐮𝐧𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐝𝐚𝐲

✯

There's a reason surgeons learn to wield scalpels. We like to pretend we're hard, cold scientists. We like to pretend we're fearless. But the truth is, we become surgeons because somewhere, deep down, we think we can cut away that which haunts us.

Derek Shepherd was getting his ass kicked.

Maddie giggled as Derek groaned, watching her place the small squares on the board.

JIFFY was the word that was placed down.

"That's not a word, I'm not having that." He shook his head.

"You wanna check?" Maddie asked, a mischievous smile on her face as they both glanced at the dictionary on the table.

Derek eyed her suspiciously before picking up the dictionary and flicking through the pages.

"It's a 21 point word Derek." Maddie grinned watching as his face fell, he'd found the word on the page.

"What does it mean then?" He challenged.

"It's a British word." Maddie laughed. "I'll be back in a jiffy darling." She spoke in an English accent.

"Okay fine." Derek rolled his eyes, a fond smile on his face. "You won."

"YESSS!" Maddie cheered, jumping up.

They were in Derek's trailer, which was surrounded by pumpkins on the outside, which Maddie insisted was necessary for Halloween.

The previous day, Derek made a bet that she couldn't beat him at a game of scrabble. Of course, Maddie won the bet.

And now Derek was buying her coffee for the next month.

"I don't know why I'm surprised, you're practically a genius." He chuckled, grabbing them both another beer.

"Mark thought you stood a chance." Maddie smiled, the plastic surgeon was a witness to the bet, if Maddie won, Derek was buying her coffee for a month and if Derek won, Maddie had to go on a fishing trip with him.

Now, Maddie was down for this, she loved animals. She just didn't realise that Derek caught the fish to kill and eat them. This, Maddie was not down for.

"Meredith." Maddie stared at her sister, wide eyes wandering to what she was holding. "What the fuck is that?"

Meredith looked at her sister for a minute before sighing. "It's mom."