𝐰𝐚𝐥𝐤 𝐨𝐧 𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫

✯

Disappearances happen in science, disease can suddenly fade away. Tumors go missing. We open someone up to discover the cancer is gone. It's unexplained, it's rare, but it happens. We call it misdiagnosis, say we never saw it, any explanation but the truth.

Maddie was back in Doctor Perkins' office, it was about 5am. Meredith told him about the things their mother said and her sister hadn't reacted how she expected. And that concerned Meredith. Maddie would usually have a panic attack or at least shed some tears. But she seemed fine. Too fine.

Even Perkins himself was worried. He started early to ensure he'd see Maddie before she finished her night shift at the hospital.

"I'm fine." Maddie smiled at him.

"Maddie... your mother said some awful things to you..."

"I'm used to it, it's all good." She smiled again.

Perkins noticed the smile didn't reach her eyes.

He was a trauma counsellor, mainly to help Maddie through her PTSD from the shooting. But he saw Maddie as more of a friend now, they were colleagues after all... kind of. She was kind, and selfless, her contagious smile lit up a whole room.

"Your mother has heart surgery today."

"And she'll be fine." Maddie replied. "It's whoever's operating on her that I'm worried about, they'll get a right earful before it."

Doctor Perkins chuckled. Maddie was avoiding talking about certain subjects and when she did this, he had to just ask the questions directly.

"How does it make you feel? When your mother brings up what happened?"

"Oh it makes me feel great." Maddie beamed sarcastically.

He frowned sadly. "You were fifteen?"

"Right." Maddie nodded.

She was closing up. And that was the last thing he wanted after they'd built a relationship, so he went for different questions.

"I heard the other day... you ran into an OR, unprotected to help a woman with toxic blood, Maddie you could've died."

She laughed lightly. "Bold of you to assume I want to live."

Perkins frowned again. "Maddie I'm going to need to write that down." He sighed before picking up his pen knowing he'd need to tell the chief about the comment she made.