chapter-४८

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

ACT. 4 — SCENE 9.

Third Person's POV

"Pranam Maharaj." Vidur greeted Dhritrashtra who had been waiting for his brother quite anxiously.

"Why did you make me wait Vidur?" Dhritrashtra stood up.

"Forgive me, maharaj. I had just about reached home when I received the message and returned." Vidur said as he looked at the troubled king. "What is it that troubles you, maharaj?" 

"Take your seat, anuj. It's a serious matter."

"How can I sit before my king does?" 

"Do you always have to follow the protocol Vidur?!" Dhritrashtra snapped. "Who is here to see if you sit before or after I do? Apart from me no one is there, and I too am blind."

"I too am here apart from you." Vidur grimly said. Dhritrashtra sat down, getting frustrated by his brother's antics.

"At least, sit now."

"As you wish." Vidur sat down.

"Why has Yudhishtira sent an ambassador?"  Dhritrashtra worriedly asked.

"You know that very well, maharaj?" Vidur solemnly said.

"Why didn't he come himself?"

"Maybe he did not want to shame you." Vidur said his eyes not leaving the floor.

"Me? Why will I be ashamed." Ambikaputra was now baffled. "Did I not return his lost kingdom?"

"But you were silent when his sister and wife were being disrobed." Vidur sharply said. "You might have not returned the kingdom had it not been the fear of Draupadi's curse."

"Mahadev ki saugandh! (I swear by Lord Shiva!). Were you not my younger brother I would have got you executed for uttering these words." Dhritrashtra roared. "Are you accusing me of cowardice?!"

"No, maharaj." Vidur calmly said as he stood up. "I am not accusing you of anything. I am just doing my duty as your prime minister. A minister's duty is to tell his King the truth without fearing his wrath."

"Then tell me the truth Vidur." Dhritrashtar pleaded.

"Your welfare lies in Hastinapur's welfare. If Hastinapur suffers then you will suffer as well." Vidur turned towards his brother. "O king! A country does not exist because of the king. The king exists because of the country."

"I know it! I know all of it!" Dhritrashtra cried out. "The king belongs to the nation. But to whom does the father belong?"

"Lord Brahma is the universal father, maharaj. Just like he belongs to everyone, a king cannot be his sons' father alone. All his subjects should be like his children. You are also the elder uncle of bhrata Pandu's children. Yudhishtira is still your eldest son, had bhrata Pandu not died, you could have never dreamt of making Duryodhan the king. Therefore, maharaj, listen to tatshree. Before the ambassador makes his demands, call back and bless the Pandavas and return Indraprastha to them."