Ch. 35 ~Mask Revealed~

' - ' ~ Inner thoughts
" - " ~ Dialogue
Letters in Itallic are letters or books.
* - * ~ Sound effects
—————————————

Lorena's POV:

I open my eyes and find myself back to the human realm. I quickly put the staff away so he won't see it. He turns around and smiles at me.

Old Man: "Ho ho ho traveler! You've made it back in one piece! I take it you obtained the Wyvern Lair Wood I requested of you?"

I take a deep breath as I lie and tell him I didn't get any. His smile falters and his eyes turn red. Like rubies.

Old Man: "... YOU WHAT!? DO YOU KNOW WHAT I WENT THROUGH TO GET THAT STUPID STAFF!? YOU... WHY YOU... YOU'VE BEEN TROUBLE SINCE THE DAY YOU SET FOOT IN THE VILLAGE!"

"Wait, WHAT!?"

Old Man: "I SHOULD HAVE DEALT WITH YOU LONG AGO!"

I close my eyes as a blinding light flashes out of him. I open my eyes and my eyes widen.

Zenix: "... Lor... ena... you have no idea what you've done. What you have gotten yourself into."

I don't even process what he is saying as relief washes over my face seeing him alive.

"ZENIX!? I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!"

Zenix: "Don't you get it Lorena? I cannot die, not as long as I remain a Shadow Knight for the King."

"You what...?"

Zenix: "I'm sure Garroth told you... didn't he? How he found me? He must have... you were always his favorite. Isn't it funny how he found me around the same time the old Lord was murdered?

I wasn't in such good shape then either. If it wasn't for stupid Vylad interfering I would have killed his son and wife too... speaking of which. Isn't there a new baby in town? Would be a shame if you didn't make it back in time."

"ZENIX WHAT ARE YOU EVEN SAYING!?"

Zenix: "I'M TIRED OF HIDING, LORD LORENA. DON'T YOU GET IT!? EVERY SINGLE LORD AND GUARDIAN ARE CONNECTED! BOTH CANNOT LIVE FOR LONG WITHOUT ONE DYING! AND WHO DIES? WHO PUTS THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE FOR WHO? WE DO! US GUARDS DO! WE ARE THE ONES WHO ARE EXPENDABLE! IT'S EITHER WE DIE FOR YOU OR YOU DIE, AND IF WE KILL YOU WE BECOME HIS LOYAL SERVANTS, BLESSED WITH UNLIMITED POWER! NO ONE CAN TOUCH ME! NO ONE CAN KILL ME LIKE WHEN I WAS HUMAN! EVEN GARROTH WILL HAVE TO MAKE THIS CHOICE ONE DAY, IF HE COULD GET HIS HEAD OUT OF HIS BUM AND SEE THE TRUTH!"

"Zenix... you're crazy..."

Zenix: "If I were you...... I'd run."

The next thing I know everything goes black...

A few hours later

I wake up to my head throbbing and a pain in my abdomen. I slowly open my eyes and adjust to the brightness to find myself in Kawaii-Chan's Maid Café.

"W-What...? How did I... get here?"

I suddenly remember Zenix coming to attack me with his sword. I try to dodge and fight back. I manage to cut his arm and I'm left surprised at what I did to him that I don't have the time to dodge his next attack and he slashes me in the abdomen. I fell on the floor and felt someone pick me up. I slowly open my eyes to see Zenix with a scowl carrying me away and then I fainted. Kawaii~Chan saw me wake up and she rushes over to me.

Kawaii~Chan: "Lady Lorena...? Oh thank goodness... you're alive. Kawaii~Chan was afraid for you."

"Wait... how did I get here?"

Kawaii~Chan: "When Kawaii~Chan arrived on the scene... a man was carrying you away and... your maid, she... she called for her sisters and they left the café. They were able to take you back from him but... Kawaii~Chan is afraid your maid is... gone."

"What!? What happened to her?"

Kawaii~Chan: "Kawaii~Chan doesn't know, all the maids were badly hurt and a few of them died trying to save you."

I tear up at how my little maid fought till the very end to protect me. Not only her but many other little maids as well.

"Oh my goodness.... I'm so sorry."

Kawaii~Chan: "Lorena, it's okay... Kawaii~Chan's maids were made with my love, Kawaii~Chan is sure she can re-enchant them into new vessels."

"Can you bring back my maid?"

Kawaii~Chan: "Kawaii~Chan no longer senses her life-force. Kawaii~Chan doesn't know if she's dead or alive... what kind of magic are you dealing with here?"

I decide to tell her about the King's Shadow Knight and Zenix.

Kawaii~Chan: "... No. No. No. No. No. No. Kawaii~Chan and her maids need to leave. We need to leave this café."

"Wait, what!?"

Kawaii~Chan: "Magic is traceable if there's a huge concentration of it in one area, if the King has your maid then he'll surely know what kind of magic aura to start looking for and will come after Kawaii~Chan. Kawaii~Chan's magic is forbidden and very useful for bringing things to life. Kawaii~Chan doesn't want to be caught up in a war with me enchanting weapons for murder.

No. No. No. Kawaii~Chan is getting out of here along with her maids."

"Where will you go?"

Kawaii~Chan: "Kawaii~Chan will move the café somewhere else. Kawaii~Chan will send word to you when we've settled in on our coordinates. Right now we have to be packing. Are you still going to Scaleswind?"

"No, after what he said... I need to go back to town."

Kawaii~Chan: "Are you sure? Scaleswind is not too far from here if you use a horse."

"Where am I going to get a horse?"

Kawaii~Chan: "Kawaii~Chan has a flying horse you can use. She should be back tomorrow morning she went out with one of my maids for medical supplies. You're welcomed to stay here until then but please make sure you are ready for what might await you. You are welcomed to take a second maid if you wish but Kawaii~Chan will leave that decision in your hands.

Kawaii~Chan has much to do now. Talk to Kawaii~Chan tomorrow morning before you leave.

Caio!"

I nod my head and thank her. I stand up and look around to see only 3 little maids left. My face saddens as I look at all of my 5 dogs in good health. I look to my right and see a chest with all of my belongings. I grab them all and start putting them in my inventory when I suddenly remember that my little maid has all the Wyvern Lair Wood on her.

'Oh no... I hope the King doesn't see it...'

I decide to take another little maid doll but I don't want to summon her until I'm back home. I take another cake to tame her and an extra Lasso for her. Then I see Kawaii~Chan start packing so I decide to help her. She thanks me and we get to work...