Let It All Burn

Summary: The Jedi keep Obi-Wan chained, but when those chains are finally broken, Coruscant must burn.

💙💚💙💚💙💚💙💚💙💚💙💚💙💚

Wide blue eyes, hands that gripped the edge of a crumbling precipice, gold hair slicked with blood from the hit to his head he'd taken, and a blue glow from the force suppression collar around his throat, not there of his choosing. 

"Anakin..." Obi-Wan breathed, unable to move, unable to help, because his mission was to protect the queen of this planet, her body in his arms. The Jedi had told him nothing else mattered. The Jedi had reinforced that death happened, and his issues with attachment made that hard for him. 

The Jedi were forcing him to watch his best friend, his everything, die because they couldn't handle themselves. 

"Mas... ter..." Anakin grunted, trying to cling to the crumbling rock but there was a gasp, the crumble of rock, and he was gone. 

Obi-Wan felt like he died with him in that moment, his heart thundering in his ears as his own voice tore from his throat, yelling into the abyss for his boy. The queen's body dropped from his hands, hitting the dusty ground, and he couldn’t find it in him to care. 

The rocks tore at his robes as he scrambled on all fours to the edge of a broken cliff face, and still Obi-Wan didn't care. 

"Anakin!" His desperation startled him, but all that answered were the echoes of his yell. Fog and darkness spanned beneath his gaze, and Anakin had slipped all the way through, little eddies swirling in the mist the only indication it had been disturbed. 

There was no way anyone could survive that fall, not even someone as brilliant as Anakin himself, a child of prophecy. The force's champion. 

Obi-Wan felt his cheeks warm with wetness and he wept. He wept for his friend, for his companion, and he pulled himself back from the edge to stare helplessly at the horizon that stretched before him. 

Eventually, Obi-Wan got to his feet, dried his tears with his sleeve, and picked the queen's body up again. She was returned to the Halls of Healing on Coruscant, and Obi-Wan reported to the Council, his heart in tatters. Qui-Gon's death had been hard to deal with, but Anakin's was far worse. 

"It appears he was not the chosen one after all," Mace said, not unkindly. In fact, he seemed quite saddened by the passing. Yoda's wise, luminous eyes searched Obi-Wan's face for the longest time and then he hummed and shook his head. 

"A great tragedy," he finally said, then tapped his gimer stick once on his seat, the noise echoing in the otherwise empty chambers. "A funeral there need not be." 

"What?" Obi-Wan's head had snapped up, his eyes narrowed at Yoda. Yoda hummed and Mace nodded in agreement. 

"It makes sense. A funeral for a war hero in times of strife would only lower morale." 

"You talk about Anakin as if he were the poster child for keeping people's spirits up. He was one of us, he deserves a funeral!" Obi-Wan stared at the masters, who gazed back with sad but firm faces. 

"He was one of us, and once the war is over, then he will have a service befitting of someone of his accomplishment but until such a time-" Mace frowned as Obi-Wan jerked in his seat, his blue eyes wild as he stared at his friends, his family. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. 

"Anakin deserves a funeral now. This war could go on for another ten years, and by then, he will be no more than a memory." Obi-Wan was standing now and Yoda made a face.