The Acrid Taste of Betrayal

Summary: Obi-Wan pretends to fall to the dark side and become Dooku's apprentice. Anakin follows him, of course.

💙💚💙💚💙💚💙💚💙💚💙💚💙💚

“I can’t believe you!” Anakin cried as he lunged forward, his blade flashing dangerously. “You lied to me!”

Obi-Wan blocked the strike with ease, but he could feel the rage behind it, the anger that poisoned Anakin’s Force signature until it turned bitter and acidic. They moved with blinding speed; their movements so fluid it seemed as if they were one with their weapons, each striking to incapacitate rather than seriously injure.

And it was all because of him.

Obi-Wan fought back a wave of guilt. There would be time for regret later, he reminded himself, even as the bile rose up his throat.

“Anakin, stop this!” he said. “I made my choice. Nothing you do will change it.”

Anakin scoffed. He was merciless, even reckless in his assault — his strikes coming faster and stronger as time passed, and Obi-Wan still hadn’t relented. There was a strange determination in his eyes, a darkness that Obi-Wan refused to recognize. The sound of their blades clashing echoed through the chamber of the ship.

“After all this time,” Anakin said between breaths. “I —  I thought I meant something to you!”

You do, Obi-Wan wanted to say. Anakin was his whole world, in fact; but he found himself unable to say the words. Not now, not when the whole mission depended on the deception.

Anakin continued his assault, and Obi-Wan desperately blocked each strike. The clash of their lightsabers rang out. He lunged again, but this time his footing faltered. Obi-Wan managed to sidestep the attack, and Anakin stumbled on his feet. He fell on his hands and knees, his lightsaber deactivating as it clattered to the ground.

The room fell into a heavy silence, broken only by their ragged breathing. Anakin’s anger seemed to dissipate as his body slumped with defeat and exhaustion. Seeing an opportunity to end the fight, Obi-Wan cautiously lowered his weapon. Anakin remained on the ground, his body trembling.

Obi-Wan approached him slowly.

“Anakin,” he said gently. “Please, stop this. You need to leave before — ”

The doors slid open. Obi-Wan turned to see Count Dooku stride into the room, his dark cloak flowing behind him.

“Well, isn’t this a surprise,” Dooku said smoothly.

Anakin’s chest heaved, sweat dripping down his face as he glared up at the new arrival.

“Master,” Obi-Wan said calmly, with the same deference he might have afforded a Jedi Master. He turned off his lightsaber, his heart racing in his chest.

But Dooku wasn’t looking at him. His gaze was fixed on Anakin, his expression a strange mix of curiosity and approval. He moved closer to Anakin, his steps slow and deliberate. There was an unsettling calmness in Dooku’s voice as he spoke again, saying, “How does it feel, Skywalker?”

Obi-Wan’s heart pounded in his chest. He had to maintain a neutral expression in front of Dooku, even though every fiber of his being wanted to step between him and Anakin.

“Your own Master has abandoned you. If someone as revered as Obi-Wan can betray you, what hope do you have for the rest of the Jedi Order?” Dooku intoned. “They will all turn their backs on you in the end.”

Anakin’s eyes burned as he met Dooku’s gaze.

“You’re wrong,” Anakin said hoarsely. “They wouldn’t —  Obi-Wan would never — ”