Howling Outside Your Door

Summary: Obi-Wan is on a mission for his Master, Darth Tyranus. Unexpectedly in a bar, he meets his former master's Padawan, Anakin Skywalker, who wants to become his apprentice.

💙💚💙💚💙💚💙💚💙💚💙💚💙💚

Sitting in his booth, Obi-Wan took the last sip of his drink, sighing at how the smooth whiskey went down his throat, immediately warming his veins. Maybe he was stupid for drinking whiskey on the hottest planet he’d ever been on, but he’d never been one to choose convenience or comfort over quality and taste. His many white layers proved that.

He really had no desire to be on this Force-forsaken planet at all, but when his master gives an order he is to obey, unless he wants to deal with Lord Sidious. That was how Dooku kept Obi-Wan in line, since he knew there was little else actually keeping Obi-Wan loyal to him as an apprentice. Obi-Wan had learned enough that Dooku was no longer relevant to him, but, apparently, Dooku was to play an important role in Sidious’ plans for the big war that was about to break out, so Obi-Wan and Dooku circled each other just enough to keep the other alive.

Because Obi-Wan had a role to play, too. Sidious knew how good he was at negotiations, and so while Obi-Wan wouldn’t necessarily be a general like his master, it would be his responsibility to ensure they had the weapons and resources they’d need to fight this war. Which was how he found himself here, decompressing after the first day of negotiations with the Hutts, some of the most unpleasant sentients Obi-Wan has never had the displeasure of speaking with.

The one drink definitely was not enough to compensate for what he’d been through that day, so he made his way to the bar for another. As he waitede for his second drink, a tall, gangly thing burst through the cantina doors, face contorted into a scowl and cheeks glistening with tears. Obi-Wan took in the sight before him, and immediately realized he knew this tall, gangly thing. This was Anakin Skywalker, Qui-Gon Jinn’s padawan.

Yes, Obi-Wan knew Anakin Skywalker – knew of him, at least. Obi-Wan had been in his early twenties when he learned of Anakin’s arrival to the Temple and the Jedi. When he found out that Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan’s former master, had taken Anakin on as his new padawan, Obi-Wan had considered taking the boy for himself. He’d be doing him a favor; Qui-Gon Jinn practically ensured that no one flourished under his guidance, what with his cold demeanor and palpable indifference towards his pupils.

That was Obi-Wan’s experience, anyway.

But Obi-Wan didn’t. Sidious forbade him, and it would’ve gotten messy with Dooku, considering the Rule of Two they abided by as Sith. Plus, as much as he was loathe to admit it, Obi-Wan did still hold respect for Dooku. The man took him in and taught him power Obi-Wan had never believed he could wield when he found Obi-Wan, freshly Fallen and awfully torn up about it. Under Dooku’s tutelage, Obi-Wan harnessed the Dark with finesse and confidence he never would have gained with Qui-Gon.

Now, looking at Anakin in this cantina, Obi-Wan can see that Qui-Gon had failed him, too. His tear-soaked face and still trembling lip were proof that Qui-Gon had neglected to acknowledge his padawan’s apparently very strong emotions, and therefore failed to teach him how to channel them to his benefit. Not to mention, the boy’s Force signature was emanating Darkness; it felt fresh, it felt suffocating, it felt never-ending.

When Anakin locked eyes with Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan gave him a once over before taking his drink back to his booth. Sitting down, he was unsurprised to find Anakin there, looming over him like a dark cloud. Taking a sip, Obi-Wan glanced up, waiting for Anakin to speak. When he didn’t, Obi-Wan said, “Hello. Can I help you?”

“Yes,” Anakin said, voice thick and hoarse, surely from the crying.

When Anakin didn’t explain further, Obi-Wan set his drink down with a roll of his eyes. “I can’t if you don’t tell me with what.”