Chapter 21: Wormtail's Punishment

What I'd promised Draco I intended to make good on, hoping to visit within the next few days. As soon as the train left Hogwarts, taking the students back to their houses, I was grabbing my stuff and preparing to apparate to Grimmauld Place to drop off my things. It was quiet when I arrived and I assumed Sirius must be resting so I quietly made my way to the guest bedroom I'd been staying in. I placed my bags on the bed, unzipping the first one to find the transfigured pen staring up at me, daring me to do something with it.

"Darling..." Severus's voice caught my attention and I quickly zipped the bag. I turned to find him standing in the doorway.

"What are you doing here?" It came out harsher than I meant for it to and I sighed. "Sorry, that came out wrong. I just meant... well... what are you doing here?" I chuckled, trying to soften my words.

"I just needed to see you."

I smiled, walking toward him and wrapping my arms around his neck.

"I've missed you, my love. I fear it's even more imperative that we keep up the charade now that Wormtail is staying with me but I still miss you."

"Wormtail is staying with you?"

He nodded.

"Why?"

"The Dark Lord says it's to assist me, though it's unclear whether it's more of a punishment for Wormtail or to keep an eye on me." He paused, pushing a strand of hair behind my ear as he exhaled softly. "I don't know how much longer I can pretend."

"We won't have to, Sev," I promised and he looked at me confused.

"Darling, what are you talking about?"

"I'm tired of this, Sev. We thought that by living two lives we could have it all but it will only hurt people in the end."

"Darling, I didn't mean that you should run into the lion's den and tell your father the truth."

"I know, Sev... but it's okay. I'm ready for whatever comes next."

"Darling, I don't think you understand what you're saying."

I shook my head. "No, Sev... I understand perfectly. Albus has been requesting it for ages... we were just too afraid to actually go through with it."

"I don't want this life for you, my love."

"I know... but I fear we have no choice."

He pressed his lips to my forehead as I continued.

"Draco and Narcissa could be punished for Lucius's failure and I want to be there for them. I want to make sure he doesn't hurt them."

"Let me guess... Draco told you."

"Told me what?"

"That the Dark Lord is calmer when you're around. He mentioned it to me once and thought that maybe if you knew... maybe you would come around more."

I nodded.

"That may be true, my love, but you cannot accept this life simply because you think it may make their lives easier!" he exclaimed.

"That's exactly why I can, Sev... he's just a boy."

He sighed. "You are insufferable, you know that?"

I chuckled. "But you wouldn't have me any other way."

"No, I suppose I wouldn't," he sighed. His eyes looked at the bag on my bed as he spoke. "So, are you going to tell me what's in the bag, love?"

"Oh, nothing. Just some clothes... my stuff from Hogwarts."

"You know I can tell when you're lying to me, right?" He raised a brow.

"And just this once, Sev... I need you to let it go."

"My love? What's going on?"

I could tell he was growing nervous but I wasn't ready to tell anyone about the prophecy, especially when I hadn't heard it yet myself.

He sighed, knowing there was no point in arguing. "Promise me you'll be safe... whatever it is you're hiding."

I nodded. "I promise."

He seemed satisfied with this answer as he pressed his lips to my forehead, slowly moving his lips along my temple, before reaching my jaw.

"Severus," I warned.

"Yes, my love?"

"Not here... mm... we can't do this here."

He chuckled. "I believe we have already, darling."

I placed a hand on his chest. "I have a better idea."

He tilted his head slightly as I took his hand, pressing my lips to his cheek. It simply felt wrong to do this in Sirius's house, especially when he'd almost died not even a few days ago. Plus, I had another idea in mind. "Do you trust me?"

He nodded and I led him out of Grimmauld Place, apparating to Spinner's End.