Chapter 27: Another Boggart

Severus and I held each other like this for a while, eventually falling asleep, before an owl perched on a nearby window, tapping on the glass with its beak. I slowly uncurled from Severus as he turned to the window. The sun was beginning to rise and I realized we'd slept through the night. I let in the owl and took the letter from its leg.

Y/n

Malfoy Manor

Sirius's handwriting. I'd barely been gone a few hours and he was already contacting me. My heart began to race as I feared something was wrong and I opened the envelope as the owl watched me curiously.

Y/n,

You need to come back immediately. Something's happened.

You know where

Padfoot

P.S. Just you

"Shit!" I hissed, turning the letter over and scrawling a message in reply. On my way. I tied it to the owl's leg and sent it off, quickly grabbing my bag.

"Darling, what is it?"

"Something's happened. I've got to go."

He nodded in understanding. "Do you need me there?"

I shook my head. "I'll be okay." I smiled, kissing his cheek. "Thank you, Sev. Tell Narcissa and Draco I'll be back, I promise. I just have to take care of this."

He nodded. "They'll understand."

I looked down at the bag in my hands, tears filling my eyes for some unknown reason. It felt as if I was breaking my promise to them. I took a breath, tossing the bag back on the bed. "I will be back," I promised.

"If they ask when... what should I tell them?"

"Tomorrow at the latest.

"So soon?"

I nodded. "I'm only going to make sure everything's okay. I promised them that I was staying for a few days and I intend to keep that promise."

He smiled and kissed my forehead. I pulled my hair out of my face and left the Manor, apparating to Grimmauld Place.

***

My heart was racing as I arrived.

"Announce yourself!" a nervous voice called.

"It's Y/n! Sirius wrote to me."

The door swung open and I saw Arthur standing there, his wand raised.

"Arthur, what's going on?"

"It appears Bellatrix Lestrange believes Sirius to be dead."

"What? No... I just spoke with her. She mentioned nothing about..." I trailed off as Arthur seemed horrified.

"Y-you spoke with her?"

"She lives with the Malfoys, Arthur. Of course I've spoken with her. What's this all about?"

"Upon Sirius's death... ownership of the house would likely go to Bellatrix Lestrange. If she believes she was successful... it's likely that she would return to the house Sirius grew up in as she's the next pureblood Black in line."

"It's not like she would be able to access it."

"We can't take that risk, Y/n. If she turns up here and discovers the Fidelius charm she could wait us out and start picking us off one by one."