005. filled with parasites

ACT ONE, chapter five :my head is filled with parasitesblack holes cover up my eyesi dream of you almost every nighthopefully, i won't wake up this time

my head is filled with parasites
black holes cover up my eyes
i dream of you almost every night
hopefully, i won't wake up this time

ϟ

Dawn was breaking outside by the time Lilium finally managed to fall asleep, but the nightmares hadn't finished with her yet. They grew especially fast in the grey time between night and day, spinning an eternity out of milliseconds.

One—eyed beasts and giant spiders stole into Lilium's sleep, mean goblins, trolls who ate children, and all the hungry werewolves that haunted her father's stories. She could nearly hear the thump—thump—thump of the warlock's hairy heart, and the screams of the Muggles when the Hopping Pot swallowed them whole.

They prowled through Lilium's dreams, dark and massive, their wide mouths snarling, baring their pointed teeth. No matter how hard she fought, or how fast she ran, she was still about to be crunched between those fangs, snapped in half like a twig. But just as one of them was unhinging his jaw, the one with eyes as big as saucers, a new figure came out of some green light — hissing like a snake, grey and faceless — seized the monster, and tore it to shreds. And then, just when she thought she'd been saved, it turned its horribleness onto her.

A pale face above her own, slithering like a snake. Pain, like holding her skin to a fire or the metal of a hot oven, blossoming on her forearm. Flashes of green. Crying, crying, and crying.

"A necessary evil."

"Sectumsempra! Sectumsempra! Sectumsempra!"

"Don't take her—!"

"I'm like you, girl. Different."

"Bring it to me..."

"Lilium!"

The monsters vanished, and the sun was shining on Lilium's face when her aching eyes flickered open. Hermione was standing beside her bed, fuzzy hair shooting out in every direction, a look of concern in her amber eyes.

"You were dreaming."

Lilium blurrily sat up, body aching like she'd been in a fight, head pounding like someone'd been using it as a drumset. There were rebellious tears in her eyes no matter how hard she tried to blink them away. Hermione's face was soft and gentle with that concern, and for once, Lilium didn't recoil from such an expression.

"Why am I dreaming these things, Hemione?" She asked, voice shaking. "Why won't they leave me alone?"

Hermione didn't have an answer, and Lilium didn't expect her to. The other girl just took her hand and squeezed it. For some reason, it felt almost like enough... for a few minutes.

She felt half—dead when she stumbled into the Great Hall, tripping over the edge of her robes. She couldn't eat. Couldn't drink. Couldn't speak. She'd a headache since the moment she woke, pounding so hard that she could feel it in her temples and behind her eyes. She held her head, nearly shielding her eyes from the light, trying to keep the world from spinning out of control.