061. the whole world crying

ACT THREE, chapter sixty—one :i started a jokewhich started the whole world cryingbut i didn't seethat the joke was on me

i started a joke
which started the whole world crying
but i didn't see
that the joke was on me

ϟ

The Golden Quartet was together for the last time.

Lili, Hermione, and Ron escorted Harry across the courtyard, arm—in—arm, staring up at the Astronomy Tower where Dumbledore awaited. Lili's black jean shorts did little to protect her from the wind, but her tights kept her warm against the chill. Her hair was long and loose down her back, and her pounding heart was wedged into the thin channel that was her throat.

Holding tight to his hand, Lili hated to separate from Harry at a time like this.

But they had no other choice, and it was time.

"Good luck, mate," Ron murmured, his face reflecting the same concern that everyone else was feeling.

But Harry just smiled and squeezed Lili's hand reassuringly, "I don't need luck. I'll be with Dumbledore."

And then, Lili could do nothing but watch him go.

ϟ

THE FINAL PLEA:

"Have you ever considered that you ask too much? That you take too much for granted? Has it ever crossed your brilliant mind that I don't want to do this anymore?"

"Whether it has or hasn't is irrelevant. I will not negotiate this with you, Severus. You agreed. There's nothing more to discuss."

ϟ

It was almost time.

Somewhere within the castle, Flitwick's choir sang an ominous tune, a frightening hum that matched the cold fear in the air. Severus stood near the third story window, staring at the gathering storm a vortex of black clouds swirling eerily in on itself. His expression was blank and inscrutable, hiding his own inner storm.

Severus had been avoiding his daughter since their last conversation when he came so close to telling her the very dangerous truth: I'm about to murder Dumbledore, Lilium. Then a warning that would make her bleed: I'm going to betray you, Lilium. He wished to see Harry — Potter now, again once more before this moment, but it was a bad idea. This was all a bad idea, and Severus felt this deep within himself. He could not eat, not now and not for days, and yet he still managed to sick up all over his robes before he left his chambers this evening.