057. as sick as all these secrets

ACT THREE, chapter fifty—seven :i pray to god i don't die in my sleepi'm as sick as all these secrets i keepbut the truth is, i can only be me

i pray to god i don't die in my sleep
i'm as sick as all these secrets i keep
but the truth is, i can only be me

ϟ

Lili was late to the dinner party at Slughorn's.

When she told Hermione to go ahead without her, Lili wasn't sure if she was going to be able to physically make the journey, but then knowing that Harry was about to pester Slughorn on Dumbledore's behalf meant that Lili had to be there. After all, they made a deal, Lili and Harry did. He had to include her and she had to help him.

So.

Body still aching with every step, Lili knocked and stepped into the professor's large office where the appetizers were already served. Everyone turned in shock at her arrival. Slughorn was standing at the head of a round table, goblet raised to the students seated before him: Harry, Hermione, Neville, Marcus Belby, Blaise Zabini, and the Slytherin twins whose names escaped her at the moment. A distinctive crystal hourglass sat in the center of the table. Interesting display piece.

"Oh my dear Miss Snape," cried Slughorn happily, "You were able to make it! Wonderful! Come in, come in."

Lili took one step when Harry's voice interrupted her.

Having jolted to his feet at her entrance, he was gazing at her with glazed eyes, "I didn't know you were out of the Hospital Wing.

Jazzing her hands, she offered an awkward smile, "Surprise."

Lili limped across the room as best she could, tugging at the sleeve of her dark green satin pantsuit. She tried to ignore the flush rising to her cheeks, knowing she hadn't managed to successfully hide all of her wounds from a few days before. It wasn't easy to glamour away her bruises and scrapes (especially those made by Dark curses — which she had plenty of experience with).

Lili felt literally all of them staring as she eased rather painfully into her chair between Hermione and Neville, Blaise Zabini in particular. She wondered if he was going to report back to Draco whom she hadn't seen in days; it seemed likely if Harry's theory was right, even if she hoped (so desperately hoped) he wasn't.

Then, when she lifted her goblet to match the rest, Slughorn crowed, "To Hogwarts' best and brightest!"

Everyone tucked in.

Except for Neville who stared hopelessly at the vast array of forks, knives and spoons placed beside his plate. He leant over and whispered desperately to Lili, "Which one do I use for the soup?"