006. it's nice to have a friend

ACT ONE, chapter six :school bell rings, walk me homesidewalk chalk covered in snowlost my gloves, you give me one"wanna hang out?" "yeah, sounds like fun"

school bell rings, walk me home
sidewalk chalk covered in snow
lost my gloves, you give me one
"wanna hang out?" "yeah, sounds like fun"

ϟ

Hermione looped her arm with Lilium's again.

Shoulders were pressed, the pair of girls strode side—by—side towards the Great Hall where they'd a rare free period to study. Technically, it was a Slytherin study day, but they wouldn't be alone — they'd probably be joined by a few Hufflepuffs and some Gryffindors as well. And apparently, she and Hermione wouldn't be alone either.

"Ron will meet us there soon. And Harry, too."

"Oh yes, how could I forget..." Lilium heaved a sigh, "The unbearably perfect Chosen One."

Hermione smiled, hiking her textbooks up higher on her hip, "He is good at a lot of things, you know."

She scrunched her nose, "Including being modest, I wonder?"

Her... friend laughed, "Yes."

"Brave and modest, I hate him already."

They pushed into the Great Hall and dropped their books onto the long Gryffindor table they usually sat at when eating.

"You should give him a chance, Lili, all right? I mean it!"

You hate him. You hate him. You hate him.

Lilium just sighed and that was all the answer she could give.

When the boys arrived, they of course made themselves at home at their table. There were plenty of healthy snacks spread out amongst their books and Ronald couldn't help himself whenever it came to food. Smiling at his eagerly eating best friend, Potter put himself at her side, and Lilium shifted slightly — peeking at him cautiously.

It took a lot of energy to despise Harry Potter continuously, the way she was prepared to for the past eleven years. Her silence and pretended unhappiness round him felt like a fierce tamping down of herself. Not to mention that it hadn't even worked so far to make him hate her like she'd hoped.

Hating someone (who didn't deserve to be hated) was genuinely exhausting.

Mouth entirely stuffed with food, Ronald managed to ask, "What'd you get for number seven — the results of the Verdimillious spell?"

"You shouldn't be sharing answers," Hermione advised worryingly, glancing nervously at Snape who was pacing at the front of the room.

Lilium sighed and replied, "Emits green—,"

"—Sparks," Potter finished for her.

The pair quickly shared a startled glance. Hermione shook her head in disapproval.