040. dying by mistake

ACT THREE, chapter forty :i can't afford to love someonewho isn't dying by mistake

i can't afford to love someone
who isn't dying by mistake

ϟ

The train ride had been full of discomfort.

Harry had been declared innocent of all charges, as Severus assured he would, but that hadn't lifted his spirits. Even when they got to Platform 9¾ (which never failed to bolster his spirits every year before), Harry was still so far out of it. With Hermione and Ron busy with prefect duties, Lili pretended to sketch while watching Harry stare off into space with a strange look in his eyes, rolling his neck and shifting somewhat. It worried her. It worried her so much that she found herself gently brushing back his hair and pressing a kiss to his scar. An out of body experience, surely.

They were both so shocked by her action that they could barely look at each other without blushing for the rest of the train ride.

Lili's concern for Harry only grew when they came across Draco, the blond prat calling: "I'm surprised the Ministry's still letting you walk around free. Better enjoy it while you can. I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it—,"

And then, all of a sudden, Harry suddenly lunged for Draco, looking ready to pull his head from his shoulders. While Hermione clutched at her arm, Lili flinched in surprise and Ron only barely managed to hold Harry back, quickly grabbing at his forearms

"What'd I tell you?" Draco sneered, hurrying away with his two goons, "Complete nutter!"

Harry roared, "Just stay away from me!"

"It's only Malfoy..." Ron was still pulling him back. "What'd you expect?"

Lili and Hermione shared a weary glance.

It felt like everyone was walking on dragon eggshells, cautious and quiet, especially when Harry apparently noticed the Thestrals pulling the carriages. Invisible horse—like creatures, visible only to those who have witnessed death... Cedric. Lili's heart pounded, the name like a chant in her tainted mind: Cedric Diggory, Cedric Diggory, Cedric Diggory, Cedric—

"You're not going mad; I can see them too," called a light airy voice, speaking to Harry, "You're just as sane as I am."

Eyes quickly following the voice, Lili looked up and gasped far louder than she meant to, completely disregarding that the girl had dirigible—plum earrings and that she was reading a magazine upside down.

"You're here!" Lili was whispering in half—awe, half—relief while climbing into the carriage. Honestly, she'd started to wonder if she would ever see that odd blonde girl she liked so much ever again. "I can't believe it..."